Replacing Coleman Heating Element

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

chrismc_us

Hello All,

I have a Coleman EB12B Furnace which stopped heating last night. I have discovered 2 wires connected to the limit switches had completely burned in half. I have ordered a new heating element part no. 3500-412/A.

I am going to replace these wires, and I know I need to use high heat thermoplastic and some high heat spade connectors, but I'm not sure of exactly what to buy. Can you help?

Thanks!
DaleM

Best place to try would be a local electrical supply house. Most wire these days usually states on it how much heat it can take. I think 600 degrees on most of what you find at home improvement stores. As for the terminals, I use the standard squeeze on ones they sell at auto parts stores, just not the totally insulated ones. If you're concerned about those just pull the plastic off them and crimp them on.
chrismc_us

Thanks, I'll go look around :)
chrismc_us

Ok, I have done some research and I purchased some 10 awg wire and some quick-disconnect connectors like are sold on this website http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/FurnaceElec.html and as recommended on the forum.

I am confused however, because the circuit on the furnace has a 60 amp breaker which is too high for 10 awg wire and the furnace's nominal load is 50.7 amps. This would cause the wire to melt (which it did). I have since bought some 6 awg wire but 6 awg quick disconnect connectors don't seem to exist.

Is there a reason why 10 awg wire is being used on these furnaces even with a 60 amp breaker?

Thanks.
DaleM

The wiring is ample for the elements. They each pull about 20 amps. The breakers are for the unit as a tolal. Old electrician's rule of thumb I heard a long time ago, #14 wire up to 15 amps, #12 wire up to 20 amps, #10 wire up to 30 amps. That #10 wire, as long as it is only going to the elements, should not melt. If you have an ammeter put that on there to see what you are drawing.
chrismc_us

Ahh, that makes sense since it uses 2 separate coils. Looks like I'm ready to repair, thanks for the info!