3400A816 Thermostat ?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bigfoot

I posted previously about a possible sequencer problem and replaced it with one ordered thru the MHPStore here. Alas,it did not solve the issue. I have to manually turn the t'sat up to turn the unit on. It WILL automatically shut off when temp is reached. However,after room temp goes down the contact at the t'stat flashes - like it is wanting to send for heat but like it is not making ENOUGH contact. Very small,but continuos flashing,like points on an older model vehicle.I have observed at the t'stat I have a green and white wire coming out of the wall.At the unit I have a RED and white wire just to the right of the blower that I assume heads to the t'stat.1986 model home was bought used in late 1999,moved into in 2000 with the only problem being a blower motor replaced approximately four years ago.Other than the described problem unit heats fine and blower runs like a jet engine. I'm thinking maybe a wiring problem/short ,but why would the t'stat shut it off if it doesn't turn it on ? Any ideas guys ? Thanks ahead of time for any help.
' foot
DaleM

Yes the red and white wire at the furnace are for the field wiring to the thermostat. You stated that you are using green and white from the thermostat. At the furnace, are the red and white wires from the furnace connected to green and white from the thermostat? If so, is it white-white and red-green? If that is the case, is the green wire connected to R at the thermostat and white connected to W? One more thing, are you using the new or old thermostat?
bigfoot

Dale,thanks for the quick reply.AND the email.I will contact you but am going to try one more thing. The wires are red/green and white to yellow at the unit. At the OLD/stock,Presidential II t'stat , green wire comes thru a hole at the top right of t'stat connected to a screw marked A . At bottom right , yellow wire comes out and is connected to a screw that is NOT labeled , but no other connectors are available on t'stat. I was surprised this morning to find out I thought I had seen different colored wires at both the unit and t'stat . I'm only 54 and use glasses but the wires are colored as described here.I had my wife verify it ,lol. I am thinking the inwall/field wiring IS good. Am thinking of trying the new Honeywell t'stat previously wired and the H'well rep told me to use the R and W slots ,not specifying what wire to what slot. Asking the question which/where ? , he responded and said if it doesn't work one way , switch them using the same slots. I wired green to R and yellow to W and it worked fine for two days ,normal on and off routine day and night. Going to try the H'well t'stat again today. Thanks again for the response.
DaleM

In a nutshell, red from the furnace HAS to go to R on the thermostat and white from the furnace HAS to go to W on the thermostat. Doesn't make a difference what color wires you use that are the field wiring in the home, so long as you are consistent with getting red to R and white to W. For example, if you had a purple and pink wire running from the thermosat to the furnace and you have connected purple to R and pink to W, be sure that at the furnace purple connects to the red wire and pink connects to the white wire. AND here's why it makes a difference. inside the thermostat there's something called a heat anticipator. That little dude "anticipates" the need for heat and turns on the furnace so that there are no big swings in temperature inside our homes. We can also adjust the heat anticipator to allow for shorter or longer heating cycles. That's a whole different subject. Some new thermostats also have settings for forced air, radiant and/or electric heat. Be sure to read through the instructions of your new tstat to be sure if it has one, that it is at the correct setting.
bigfoot

Well Dale, i got my lazy a__ busy sunday and hooked up the Honeywell t'stat i bought and hooked up once already. unit is now working normally. ( < ? ) also informed the wife what NOT to touch , lol. thanks for all the help,ya'll definitely have a great site here.