DGAT070BDD--Won't heat up. Won't shut off.

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

MomOf2

We bought and moved into our trailer in July of 2011. We had no problems last year for heat. The furnace worked wonderfully. We have A/C hooked up as well, and the A/C worked well throughout the summer. Now, we have been trying for a couple of months to get heat to work properly. When you turn it on, you hear the ignitor, then the flame lights. After a few moments, you hear the blower kick in. However, when the air comes out of any of the vents, it is just barely lukewarm. It's warmed than outside, but not 72*, which is what the thermostat is set at. We have tried our own troubleshooting at home, but have come across no explanation or solution. We checked the c-coils, which I was told to do. They were covered in dog hair, probably from the previous tenants, and we cleaned it all out. We also have looked at all of the wire connections, thinking maybe something isn't connected that should be. Nothing. We changed the thermostat las night as an almost last resort. We upgraded to a programmable, digital thermostat that I assume is okay to use. It hooked up properly, and turns the furnace on and off. We still don't have heat. The thermostat has been set at about 72* for the past 2 weeks or so, and it is still only heating to about 60-65*. After hooking up the new thermostat last night, we shut the heat off completely for about half an hour. The temp actually rose to about 64* on its own without any heat source. When we turned the furnace back on, we heard the ignitor switch, and then saw the flame. It was burning blue, and even. Then, the blower kicked in. We were hoping the air would warm back up in a moment or two. That did not happen. It was still blowing the coolish air, just barely lukewarm. It has been in the teens during the day where I live, and in single digits or below at night. I know that 60-65* is not cold, but it is far too chilly to sit in a t-shirt for me, and I'm an adult. We have two very small children, and it is far too cold for them. Their room is furthest from the furnace, and they wake up in the night cold. I don't feel like it would be safe to put a space heater in there or I would. We do have one set up in the living room during the daytime, but it is shut off when we are not awake to supervise it.

Any advice/sugggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Note: I am a beginner, so using basic language or explaining things would be helpful to me.
DaleM

Single wide or double wide home? If double check the crossover duct, it connects the half with the furnace to the half without the furnace so heat travels throughout the home. If there's a hole in it you're losing air velocity and heat into the home. The other thing to check is the main burner oriface, see if there's a spider web in it. Sometimes these can cause enough of a restriction to allow the burner to keep burning but output is low because of the lack of gas to the burner.
MomOf2

We live in a single wide. Sorry. I didn't post that.

We took the panel off where the gas line goes into the actual furnace, and cleaned it out. I was told by someone on another forum to clean the flame sensor and components near/around it. We did clean most of the parts, but they already appeared to be clean.

I took a mirror and flashlight to check the vent through a register to see if anything was blocking the ductwork. I couldn't see anything, but there was some dog hair from the previous owner in the bathroom vent that needed vacuumed out. So I did that. When I was checking the ductwork, I noticed some pretty big cuts-like marks in the ductwork. I'm thinking I'm going to have to climb under the trailer to get to it to fix it. Is there a type of tape or something that I should use? Or just your basic Duck brand tape? We had some guys working under the trailer in the early spring/summer. Maybe one of them hit it with a tool. I don't know what else would have caused those cuts in the ductwork.
1987Commodore

It sounds like they did some damage to your duct work for sure. Probably most of your heat is going into the belly, then. I would not use regular duct tape, it will not hold up. There is a metal foil faced tape that is much better. Also check where the duct connects to the risers to your registers. It could have come apart there also.