Coleman-Evcon eb12b

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

willia

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some help on where to start with a problem with my air conditioner in my single wide home. Yesterday, I noticed a small puddle of water spreading on the floor in front of it, so I took of the panel off to see what was wrong. The drain pan had standing water, so I figured the drain needed to be cleaned. I tried unclogging it, but that didn't seem to work because the water didn't move. I dried out the drain pan cleaned everything (dust and dirt) and turned on the air conditioner to see what would happen. It still cools fine and comes on and goes off, but I noticed that the water was actually leaking from the right corner near where the floor meets the wall of the space that the unit is in (I hope that's clear enough). Further investigation shows that the floor around the sort of cubby hole that the air conditioner shows signs of water damage. I suspect the floor around it is damaged, but I don't know where the water itself might be coming from. I'm know I'm going to have to call someone because while I'm reasonably handy and probably able to fix the floors if there is damage, I don't know anything about hvac. Any assistance or advice about what the problem might be or how to fix it (if it is something a moderately capable diy-er could do) would be greatly appreciated. EDIT: Is this possible that this is an issue with the water heater?
DaleM

Not sure how you tried to clear the drain. There is a tube that will extend below your home, put a shop vac on it and try to vacuum all the crud out of it. Also be sure it's not sitting in mud, that has a tendancy to cause it to not drain properly. Is the drain pan plastic or metal? If metal and over 15 years old it probably has rusted through and needs to be replaced. You can expect to pay about $400-$700 for that repair. If plastic there may be a crack in it.
willia

Thanks for the suggestion, I was able to get the drain unclogged and it turns out the leak is coming from the water heater. Now I just have to figure out how to turn off the water supply.