heat coils and ac both working same time?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

chickenhaulerz

hello, i have a coleman presidential model # 3500A816 serial #059171895..i have the add on ac..it has been working flawlessly then this morn it got very hot in here.i pulled cover and the a coil was cold ...and.... the heat coils were bright red .....i have disconnected the power to all the relays to the coils and now the ac is working can you please give me a hint as to where to look...a sequenser was replaced for heater last fall all was great until today thanks for reading Dennis
chickenhaulerz

bump......
gf100

There's a few things it may be.

Check your thermostat. Your thermostat wires could be contacting each other.

R= Power to thermostat relay
G= Fan
W= Heat
Y= Cool
C= Common (from condensing unit)

When R and W come in contact, it establishes a call for heat. When R and Y come in contact, it establishes a call for cooling. It may be possible that W and Y are coming contact. They also may be touching on the Furnace Control Board.

On your furnace, it may be a bad relay. The relay is what controls the power to your heat elements and your condensing unit.

Hope this helps a little!
DaleM

This is rare but is there any chance you only have 2 wires coming from your thermostat to your furnace? If so, do you have a heat/cool thermostat as well?
chickenhaulerz

yes i have 2 wire ...and it is set to heat...and the ac is set at front panel of unit .....newest problem is now the ac is no longer needed ....have heat set to work...... the elements are heating when blower is not running .. when call is sent for heat it clicks then blower runs until the desired temp is reached ...but after blower shuts down you can hear a relay click then the elements get red ...also sometimes the shutdown call is sent and the blower will start /stop a cpl times OR sometimes wont shut off at all have to power of at breaker box
DaleM

Is there a heat/cool setting on the thermostat?
chickenhaulerz

i have decided just to scrap it as its 22 years old and has been giving so many problems ...i have purchased a revolv model eb17d ..and have now removed the old one and in process of installing new .....however the new one has circut breakers and im not so sure on where to put the wires ...on old one the 2 larger went to top and btm of fuse panel and smaller 2 went in middle also the 2 ground wires each have own block that is the same ...am at a loss figuring out if 2 larger go to one breaker and two smaller go to other ..the panel says that 6gauge on top and 10 gauge on btm so im confused ...thanks for reading
chickenhaulerz

resolved ...thanks now have heat AND a very healthy blower ...WOW