Coil housing rusting, condesation pan leaking

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

countrygirl4513

My Coleman(Model# C3QA-036U-B) interior is leaking water severly. The copper coil housing is rusting/rusted through where it connects to the condesation pan(plastic). I have had the A/C repairman out and they say it is a fatal failure, i need to buy a new one. I know it is 11 -12 yrs old but I don't have the money to do that! I don't want to waste good money on the interior unit when the blower outside will eventually fail too. Might as well change the whole thing at one time. But as I said, $$$$$$$ .
Is there some type of caulking or tape I can use to seal the leak at the edge of the housing that is sitting in the pan and underneath where I see the leak? The A/C man put some type of tape underneath on the pan but he didn't follow it all the way around the pan bottom, so it is still leaking. Am I wasting my time even trying to get the thing bandaid-ed for the rest of the summer months? Thanks.
DaleM

Don't waste your time. The pan has many little holes rusted through it and you won't be able to get to all of them. On a side note, plastic replacements are available, with the economy being so bad maybe you can find an out of work HVAC guy on craigslist that could do the install for you at a price you can afford.