Coleman Evcon, electric

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

r00ster88

This morning my thermostate was set on 68 and the house started feeling cold, the thermostate is set on 68 and it was showing it was 66 in the house. I can hear the fan run but not the heating unit. any Ideas? is it the theromostate? or the unit? all help is appreciated :cry:
DaleM

Could be a number of things, sequencer, heating element out, burned wire, etc. Tstat sounds like it's turning the furnace on, usually the first thing to start on electric furnaces is the blower, I'd rule it out. What kind of mechanical backround do you have? Can you use a multi-tester?
r00ster88

mechinist by trade, my son is a mechanical engineer, so I think I would say I have a bit of experience
r00ster88

after doing research it seems it probably is a bad heating element, or sequencer or a limit switch. I think since I will have it torn down I may replace them all. what is your thoughts on this
DaleM

Why go overboard, with the furnace on and tstat calling for heat I'd check to see if you have 220v at the elements. Normal sequence of events is, 1) blower comes on and 1 heat element comes on, 2) after a short while the sequencer will kick another element on and 2 will be ON, 3) a short time after that the sequencer will kick the third element ON. I would check for voltage on each element as the sequencer goes through it motions. If you have power (220v) to the elements and no heat, the elements are bad. Also best if you test for voltage before and after the limits, it will let you know if they are good or bad as well. They are normally closed. If the sequencer doesn't turn power on to any elements, it is bad, replace it. Also look for burned off wires.