Coleman Model #7956A856 modification?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

augiemiss

We have an older manufactured home with a Coleman Model #7956A856 furnace. Last spring we were having trouble with the pilot light going out, so our service technician recommended replacing it with an electronic glow-plug ignition system. We had it okayed through a home warranty company and he replaced it. It has never worked perfectly; many times it goes through three attempts to ignite and then shuts off. The technician told us it was an idiosyncrasy to be lived with. Last month the furnace would attempt to ignite but shut itself down in about 1 second. Another technician took a look and was horrified; he says that it is a very bad idea,perhaps even illegal, to make a modification of this nature to a mobile home furnace. Any thoughts? Our home warranty company only wants to replace the glow-plugs, we think perhaps it should be restored to a standing pilot light system.
Greg

I'm no Furnace pro, but one thing I would not recommend is to continue with a modification that is not working correctly (or safely), I think that I would take the second techs advise. Is there any electronic ignition available? They seem to be the industry standard now.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."