Help ASAP! please!

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bnrboy775

First off I want to say I know its rude to post a title like that and I apologize. Now onto my problem. I turned on my furnace ( Coleman presidential II) tonight and was going to check for a cracked heat exchanger by turning on the blower. Well I didn't even get that far. I started the thing up by lighting the pilot... no problems there except the pilot had a slight yellowish tinge in the flame. I turned up the thermostat and the burner kicks on. That flame is blue at the base and yellow everywhere else and is going crazy. It didn't even warm up enough to turn the blower on and there was smoke coming out of the unit into the house enough to set off our smoke alarms. I immediately shut the thermostat down and the burner went out. Then the blower kicked on and I was watching the pilot and the pilot started dancing all over the place. My question to everyone is first off is my heat exchanger cracked ( from what I have described here) and what is the smoke from, I thought Propane didn't produce smoke? Is the smoke from dust burning off? Im not touching it anymore. Calling service tech first thing tomorrow... well actually home warranty company as I feel they should cover it. Any information anyone can give would help me greatly. Thanks in advance

We used this unit all last winter with no problems. Although we weren't living here at the time. What would cause the heat exchanger to fail over a summer?
bnrboy775

Okay... so we had a tech come out and look at our furnace yesterday. Hopefully it will be covered by our home warranty company. But if it isn't, what kind of money am I looking at to replace the furnace. It is a 89000 brush I believe, our house is 1100 square feet. Am I going to have to replace the a/c in it also? Or would that transfer over to a new unit. We had the a coil replaced in the spring.
Mark
Site Admin

What did the tech say the problem was? Almost sounds like a chimney issue to me.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
bnrboy775

Sorry didn't realize that I forgot to say... he did a visual inspection of the heat exchanger and found two holes... he didn't say what he thought caused it though
Mark
Site Admin

Did your technician doublecheck the model number against the recall list? It's a new furnace for you if it matches one of these model numbers: http://www.dgatprogram.com/

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!