How to Reach/Replace Thermocouple

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

tysonhazard

Furnace Model: Coleman Evcon Presidential
Gas Valve Model: Robertshaw-Grayson 7200ER CS

Hello,

We haven't used our furnace since last year, and now that winter is coming, we can't get the pilot to stay lit. It stays lit when I hold the lever to "set" but goes out immediately when I let go and it returns to "pilot." I would like to replace the thermocouple and clean out the orifice (the flame when holding the lever on "set" isn't very big and adjusting the pilot screw doesn't help at all).

If I can replace the thermocouple without removing the gas valve, I would rather just do that and not worry about cleaning the orifice at first. But how do I remove the inside part of the thermocouple? Through the lighting-hole I can see that it goes underneath a wind-shield. So that blocks me from accessing it through there.

If I need to remove the valve, please let me know the steps I should take to avoid as much as possible a hazardous situation. Do I need a pipe wrench or something to remove the gas pipe that goes into the valve? Or should I be able to remove it with just a phillips screwdriver?

Thanks in advance,

Tyson
Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

You didn't list specifically which model number you have, but generally it's easiest to pull out the burner assembly to replace the thermocouple. A couple screws should remove the gas valve and a couple more should remove the burner.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!