air flow concern

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

js

First im a renter and i know its a coleman but dont know model ,,recently i replaced the drier exhaust vent and noticed that there was cold air blowing out bottom where furnace is located (a/c was running) also the ground was wet ,, also inside the mobile home right in front of the furnace theres a hole in the floor where the a/c lines come in from the outside ,, alot of cold air is coming up thur it ..alot more air than what comes out of the register vents ..i guess my question is why ? is this normal ? is it bad ? it seems to cool the home other than i think it runs alot and some register vents have more air flow than others
Bill

Hi JS
Now when you say the ground is wet are you talking about the ground under the house or the floor of the trailer. Now the air flow problems. The hole where the a/c lines come up through the floor should be sealed off. I would use a can of expanding foam and spray that hole closed. Yes its not unusual for you to have different amount of air coming out of different registers. If you are trying to balance the air floor you will have to try and open and close off different register until you find a setting that you like. This might take some time so be patient.
Hope this helps out.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
flcruising

Sounds like the ductwork isn't sealed well. The air you felt inside from the hole was being drawn through because of the negative pressure in the room from the return air.

Look for a condensate drain near the outside unit, it should be dripping consistently when the a/c is running. Hopefully it isn't draining under the home and causing the wetness you mentioned.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Mathwei

First of all there should be some "thumb gum" or permagum around where those lines come up. Expanding foam works but anybody who has to do service will cuss its use there. Secondly it sounds like the drain tube is probably just sticking right down under the home which can cause more than one problem. This is all too common! If it's the black rubber tube you should be able to stick a street 3/4" PVC elbow in there and hose clamp it then run a stick out your skirting.

Sometimes a little air can escape around the panels in front of the a-coil, but it should all be chugging through your duct work. If you can, look underneath or use a flashlight and a mirror to look into your duct work after you take a supply register off. See if there is any bulges or gaps that way.