ac stopped working

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bnrboy775

Okay, I have a coleman presidential II furnace with split ac. The outside until is trane until I am not sure of the model on that. Two weeks age we had our ac on and it was working perfectly, nice and cold. We had a recent cold snap so I had to switch back over to heat. Now to change back and forth all I have been doing is flipping the switch on the furnace from heat to cool. That it I have not touched anything else. Today I had to switch it back over to cool to use the ac and all that happened was the blower kicked on. The outside unit did not come on. I checked the thermostat to make sure it it was set right and even cycled it on and off a couple times and still the outside unit is. Oming on. I then went to my breaker panel and flipped both the breakers for the furnace and the ac. Then turned them back on and cycled the thermostat to turn the on. Still the only thing that come on is the blower. The outside until did not come on. I don't even know where to start to diagnose what is wrong. I checked the breakers that's all. Its raining outside today so I didn't want to mess with electrical stuff outside in the rain. Any tips on what I should do. Is my ac shot? Or is it better to contact an hvac company to come look at it?
Bill

Hi there,
Well from what i have found out that a typical service call can run any where form $80 to $150. Alot of that depends on what part of the country you live. A good company will tell you if you ask what they are going to charge you to show up and check your system. With that said there is a couple of things that you can look for in your a/c unit. Is the start relay good? is the contactor pulling in and starting the compressor. Is the run capacitor Good. I hope this helps you.
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
furnaceman

hi,
First thing is double ckeck and make sure ur t-sat is set for cool and fan swith is set for auto.
Have u done any mowing or used a weed eater recently, if so, check very carefully the small diameter wire that looks like t-stat wire its usually brown, for any cuts on it. If u find any. shut off power to the inside unit, and cut the wire, strip back the two wires inside, wire nut them together, and use black electrical tape to wrap them in.if ur inside unit has a circuit board, see if it has a fuse ( automobile type), if so pull it and see if its good.
Also, outside ur residence, by the outside unit, should be a shut off, it will either be a circuit breaker or pull out fuse. if its a breaker, flip it, if its a pull out fuse, and u know how to use a continuty tester or ohm meter ck them.

:mrgreen:

before we go any farther, do u understand and have hands on experience with a volt ohm meter?