Wind blows pilot out way too often.

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

I've been working on a friend's Coleman standing pilot furnace Model #7710-856. The pilot light goes out very easily. I cleaned the pilot orifice, replaced, the 1/4" tubing and the thermocouple. The pilot still seems weak and the air turbulence seems great. When it's windy, you can see the pilot light flickering and finally going out.

Is there a gas adjustment for the pilot to increase the flame? Do we need to get a whole new pilot assembly? Is there a screen we can put over the vent to reduce the air turbulence? I know there are automatic pilot re-lighters, but on windy days, the pilot goes out every 2 seconds!

Verdeboy
archive

Hi,

This is an area that is trial and error, hit and miss often and hard to correct without being there.

Has it always done this ? What is the clearance above peak of roof ?

A roof-jack extension might help, but again, w/o being there it is hard to say.

The pilot should cross the top 1/3" to 1/2" of thermocouple.

If the pilot needs adjustment, look on gas valve for a pilot adj. screw.

Thanks,
Robert
archive

The person who owns the mobile home had a stroke and doesn't remember when this problem started. The thermocouple works great and is positioned properly. It takes about 45 seconds for the gas to turn off if I blow out the pilot with the gas valve set to "on". I don't see any pilot adjustment screw.

The pilot seems too weak, even though I cleaned it with a wire. I bought this new wire thing called a "broach" that is supposed to be better for cleaning out the pilot orifice. It's supposed to be very coarse. I haven't tried it yet.

I was wondering if you've ever tried to enlarge the pilot orifice slightly to get a stronger pilot flame? I have an old G.E. standing pilot furnace in my apartment and the pilot flame is about ten times stronger than in the Coleman, and it never ever goes out.

Verdeboy
archive

Watch out because with propane you can easily make the pilot to big. Usually there is a pilot adjustment on the gas valve.

hvac1000
archive

It's natural gas. What would the pilot adjustment look like? And where would it be on the gas valve?

Thanks
Verdeboy
archive

Most of the time it will say "pilot" near the adjustment. Might have to remove a cap.

hvac1000
archive

Look for a screw on top of gas valve with "pilot adj." engraved next to it.

Thanks,
Robert