Coleman Presidential Model 6806 A 842 circuit breaker ???

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Silverburst1984

Hi guys,

New to the site and I love the forum. My electric furnace has 2 circuit breakers on the front of the unit and one keeps shutting off and consequently shuts down the unit after operating for around 10-15 minutes. I reset the breaker and it does the same thing, usual heat and air flow but just shuts off the breaker closest to the outside face of the unit. The other side doesn't kick off. From what I read, these control the heating elements. Does this signify a bad element or a bad breaker, or some other issue with the blower motor or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dan
Robert

Hi Dan,

If original, probably a bad breaker or problem with furnace wiring.

Most likely the breaker though.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Silverburst1984

Thanks for the response, Robert. It is original from what I can tell and makes the most sense. Do you happen to know what that particular breaker is for? We installed a digital thermostat last year and I was suspicious that might have something to do with it. Thanks!

Humbly Greatful,

Dan
Robert

Hi Dan,

They are for shutting down power to work on furnace if there is a problem with components or wiring. The t-stat would not cause that.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Silverburst1984

Robert,

After looking at the breakers/wiring in question, next I pulled the lower front cover off to check the wiring and the wires coming from one of the sequencers look like they got hot at some point and there was some black sooty residue on the inside of that cover where the sequencers are. Near the connections on the #1 sequencer appears to be the hot spot. All the wires from #2 sequencer appear fine and are not melted or anything. There is a wiring diagram on the inside of the upper cover that shows how those are wired and that sequencer is wired to elements #1 and #2. I'm assuming the sequencer controls the elements, and this setup is wired to those breakers above so this may be the source of the problem. Not to jump ahead of myself too soon, but if I change out the sequencers, should I change all the elements as well? (I really like to do things right the first time, and I hate having parts break down one after the other...) I haven't done this before but I have read the information available on your site and I know I can do it. I can send you pictures if that will help you out if I am not clear enough, just let me know when you have a chance. Thanks a million!

Dan
Robert

Hi Dan,

This is the route most take in your situation with that age furnace.

Sequencer # 3120A3571 @ $53.54

24501 Restring Kit 5KW ( 4 ) @ $29.00 each X 4 = $116.00

Limit Switch # 6806 - 3351 ( 4 ) @ $18.43 each X 4 = $73.72

That sequencer is for a modern Coleman Electric Furnace of 20KW/4 coil variety.

The restrings are 5kw each giving same kw as now.

The limits are the actual OEM limits for your furnace.

All can be seen and ordered through PayPal from this page here :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanElec.html

THEN, continue shopping and go here for any wires or quick connectors needed:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/FurnaceElec.html

Those are high heat wires and connectors. I would go with the 10awg wire.

With new coils, sequencers, limits and wire/connectors, should be ok.

Those sequencers control the elements and the first set, M1-M2 also control the blower for heat mode.

Thanks,
Robert