Coleman EB20B

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

49willys

I'm having a low heat problem and I'm trying ti diagnose it, I don't have a AMP meter that can go this high. I OHMed the heating coils and the bottom set is 11.2 ohm the top set ,bottom is 11.2 the top is .7 ohm. only the bottom heating element is working. how do I test the sequencer, this and the top element is bad I think, outlet temp is 85 inlet 68, I can't find any info on the differential. Thanks Dave
Robert

Hi Dave,

Set t-stat to call for heat and wait one minute. Then, look at left side of each heating element front plate and you will see a terminal where left side of coil is attached.

A wire will connect there and run over to the sequencer.

Test each terminal, one for each coil, to a good metal ground for 120VAC.

One meter lead touching terminal, the other touching the metal plate or a screw.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
49willys

I checked for 120 and all 4 elements and have it, and when it shuts off it still has 120 ?

Thanks Dave
Robert

Hi Dave,

Then the elements and blower should still be on.

Test across the left and right side end terminals of each coil for 240VAC.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
49willys

The bottom coil on the bottom set does not have 240

"Then the elements and blower should still be on." The blower is off

About 10min later I retested and the lower coil had 240v tested again and no 240v
wile testing the upper coil set comes on instantly about a MIN later the upper coil in the lower set comes on.
Robert

Hi,

They are on a timed sequence and when powered, will come on and off as timed to do so.

You have to set t-stat to call for heat, wait about 45 seconds and then test quickly.

Could be a problem with sequencers or limits or breakers.

With a call for heat from t-stat, all left end terminals to ground should read 120vac.

All right end element terminals should read 120vac to ground.

Should read 240vac across them.

Left side not reading 120vac is indicative of sequencer problem with a call for heat.

Right side not reading 120vac would indicate a limit or breaker problem.

Thanks,
Robert