condensor hums

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

noltingj

Coleman Presidential III Heat/AC unit

When the blower kicks on to cool, the condensor unit outside hums very loudly and the fan inside doesn't move. We had a pretty bad storm come through our area (southeastern SD) last weekend, so I went to check to see if a fuse had blown, but found that there is no fuse at all on the condensor. There's no shut off switch other than turning off the breaker. Is there anything else I can look for before calling in a professional?
hvac1000

More than likely the condenser fan motor is shot. It could also be a capacitor for the motor is also shot. Do you have the model number of the outside unit. If you feel up to it we do have motors available.

The unit should have a disconnect outside for safety. You might consider having one of those installed.

I will not work on out door A/C units without a disconnect. It is just not safe.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
noltingj

The model number of the condensor is 9530F901.

How much would it cost to fix this? Would it be better to just get a new system installed since this one is probably from the mid 80s?
hvac1000

I have had no luck with your model number. What is the brand?

As far as replacement goes you will have to replace your inside coil and the outside unit at the same time. Almost all newer 13 SEER units require a new coil for them to work correctly. Now you can add a Expansion valve but you still will not get the efficiency you are paying for.

Get me the name of the unit and look for a better model number.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.