Coleman Ht & Air Unit Model MBC42CQA Indoor Coil

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kriskenn1117

We purchased a 1997 Southern Energy manufactured home back in July 2006. Our Coleman Ht & Air Unit Model MBC42CQA Indoor Coil just quit working. What do we need to do to trouble shoot it and fix it ourselves? Money is tight and I don't want to have to pay someone else to fix it, if it might be something we can do ourselves.. Please Help! :cry:
Robert

Hi,

First need to know what you mean by quit working ?

Did it freeze up, start leaking or what ?

The ONLY thing a homeowner can DIY to an indoor a-coil is clean it.

Give me more details and will help as much as possible.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kriskenn1117

OK, My husband fixed it last night. Come to find out the transformer was bad. HE replaced the tansformer and now it is working fine... BUT, There is a tray that the coil part sits on, and its holding water (moisture) in the tray is that normal? Will it leak and get on the wiring and cause a fire? Thanks for any information you may have on this..
Robert

Hi,

Glad it got it fixed. Be sure the transformer was rated for same VA (volt amps) as old one, usually 30 or 40VA.

Yes, condensation forms on the cold a-coils as the hot return air from home is drawn across them.

It drips down into drip pan and flows out the drain line.

Make sure drain line remains clear. You can tape a wet/dry vac to end of it outside usually near or next to outdoor condenser unit.

That will pull out any clogs and then pour a mixed solution of bleach/water into pan every 3 monts or so will help keep it clear.

Go here and read articles on cleaning a/c and furnace blowers and it will also tell and show how to clean the coils.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/articleshvac.html

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?