air conditioner line

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

wes

is it ok to put in a sweat in/soldered coupling in the larger line from the compressor to the evaporator (A-coil)? i had to cut the existing line to install the new drip pan that arrived y'day.

thanks
wes
hvac1000

I do not recommend using solder to do any work on high pressure A/C refrigerant lines.

There is vibration there weather you can feel it or not and the pressures are usually higher than a water line. I have only used 15% silver sticks and I braze all connections.

The biggest problem is when you are all done it will probably leak in short order then you will have to do it over.

You will also need a Vacuum pump and you might want to replace or add a drier to the liquid line (smaller of the two) to further protect your unit. Moisture starts to accumulate the moment you open a system and can cause major problems.

If you do not have a vac pump and you do not have a powerful torch to do the silver brazing with I suggest you call a professional to braze the joint and vac and recharge the unit.

I have no quick cures for this situation.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
wes

have the hvac guy coming monday to do vac/recharge. will definately have him look at the coupling.

thanks
Robert

Who recovered the charge or had it all leaked out ?

Silvaloy 15 Brazing Alloy is what I use. Brazing it is fine, but you need to have proper equipment and experience or you'll be paying to have it redone.

Carpenters say measure twice and cut once.

I say in these situations, defer to Tech and pay once.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
wes

robert.

perhaps you should have asked if i have the expertise to do a brazing job rather than assuming i don't. i asked if soldering is ok not if i needed to have a pro. soldering is the easiest way to go rather than brazing or tig inside a house. fyi i'm a millwright. worked 35 years in the trade.

best regards
wes
Robert

Hi Wes,

I didn't assume anything. You asked a question and we answered it. All I did was make a statement in your best interest, not assuming one way or the other.

It has nothing to do with easiest . Brazing is only correct way for doing refrigeration lines inside or out.

FYI, HVAC and I have a combined approx. 65 years in HVAC trade.

You asked and we answered, the rest is up to you.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?