Heating element doesn't heat correctly

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

I have no heat on my electric evcon furnace EB12B. I have power. The t-stat turns on the blower. I have removed a limit switch and see that only a small portion of the upper element is turning red. I have 220 volts through each element. Should I replace the element or is there something else I should check first?

grscooby
archive

One last question. Complete element or restring kit?

grscooby
archive

A complete new element is the easiest way to go. If you get a restring kit be aware that the coil separation must be equal of you can cause a hot spot and eventually burn the restring element out.

hvac1000
archive

Update: I purchased a new element from this site. Super fast delivery!! Installed it and double checked the paper plate on the front to verify that what I ordered was what was supposed to be in this heater. Matched exactly. I verified the wiring diagram and believe it or not everything was where it belonged and even had the same color of wiring still as it was originally wired with. Long story short-- it still does NOT work.
Only a portion of the top element gets red hot. I shut the unit down again and pulled the elent and you can see the part of the top element that was heating up and the bottom was still ice cold. Unit starts up fine when you make the call for heat, the blower blows fine, and then runs forever due to NO heat. What can I do next guys? I have seen several other threads on this same issue with the same unit.

grscooby
archive

Before this problem started did you do or change anything to the furnace? You should have 220 volts entering the heater. 110 volts on each side of the heater element to ground and 220 volts across the element?

hvac1000
archive

Hi,

Just for clarification here.

You have one element plate that has two element coils.

When you say only a portion is heating up, do you mean the upper element coil heats up, but the bottom coil does not ?

Go to the link, scroll down to Heating Element 3500-412P/A, then clcik on pic for enlarged view.

As you can see, there is a top coil and bottom coil. Are you saying the bottom coil is not energizing at all ?

The white connector blocks with 2 terminals each, one on each side, is for testing the elements for power voltage. Top terminals for top coil and bottom terminals for bottom coil.

Turn t-stat on to call for heat, wait 2 minutes, then place one meter lead on the bottom terminal on one side and other meter lead on bottom terminal of other side.

Do you read 240vac ?

Thanks,
Robert

Link: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanElec.html
archive

Nothing was done to the heater prior to this problem of no heat. I bought the 3500-412 heating element from this site. The top coil is the one that partially heats up. The bottom one does nothing. I have checked voltage and have 240 vac across both the top and the bottom elements. I have double checked the wiring diagram and everything is where it is suppose to be.

grscooby
archive

The furnace is a EB12B. I finally found a repair tech to come by and check the heater and he said it was the sequencer. He showed me that after a few minutes of run time that the voltage to the elements was intermittent. He didn't have a sequencer available so I have one ordered from here. I will report back after I get the part and get it installed. Thanks for all your help.

grscooby
archive

Hi,

No apoligies needed and you're very welcome. Glad you found the problem. That happens sometimes as the sequencer is going bad.

The correct Sequencer is 3110-3571, is this what you ordered ?

Thanks,
Robert
archive

Yes, that is the part that I ordered. Thanks again.

grscooby
archive

You're welcome and thanks for ordering from us.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert