Control Power In A DGAA07BDTA

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Mike S

Hey guys,

Bought my place in December and doing a major reno. Not living there at the moment, thank God (as it is only about 15 deg F out now.

The furnace was working ok (minus short cycles, but that is the not the problem I writing about.)

So sunday I ripped out a window to replace it, but ran out of time, so I threw some vapor barrier over the hole for the night, and when I came back the next day, my furnace wasn't running.

Broke out the multi-meter, and found that I had line power going to transformer, but no control power coming out. Great..problem solved.

Bought a replacement, threw it in, and blamo...heat glorious heat. BUT it ran over the set point of the thermostat. I couldn't get it to shut off, and when I finally did get it shut off, it wouldn't fire up again.

Took the multi-meter out again, and found....No control power again! Line power is ok, but no 24 VAC.

I have read somewhere that transformers don't just die. If you find one has gone, troubleshoot further to figure out what is source of the problem. So my question is, before I go and throw in another $40 transformer, what is killing them?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike
Robert

OK, first let me give you the best kept secret in HVAC for homeowners.

ANYTIME you replace a Transformer, get an Automotive type fuse holder and an ATC 3 amp fuse.

Install it in the hot wire on 24V secondary side of xfrmr.

It prevents ANY future xfrmr blowouts from low voltage shorts.

With that said, you have a short on the low voltage side.

Check ALL low voltage wires to see if any are touching neutral wires (bare) or touching metal.

Look closely at where the t-stat wires enter the furnace through the side of cabinet.

Something ~may~ have gotten in and chewed on a wire also.

Test for 24vac from the neutral side wire and a good ground.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Mike S

Robert,

It worked. Many thanks, and my apologies for not posting sooner, but I only have internet access at work right now.

The short was in the T-Stat wiring. Because I am in the middle of a reno, some of the t-stat wiring was laying on the ground, and I accidentally stepped on it and crushed it into the threads of a screw.

Also found somebody had replaced the "No More than 3 amp fuse" on the control board with a 7.5 amp. I probably wouldn't have burnt out the transformer if the proper fuse was installed. :S

Anyhow, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Mike
Robert

Hi Mike,

You're very welcome, glad it helped you get it taken care of.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?