Not Hot Enough

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

NorbertH

Hi everyone,

I have a Coleman EB10B furnace with AC.

Not enough heat is being produced. The blower runs nearly all the time while the house remains cold.

Since it is Sunday afternoon, there are few - if any technicians avalible to come out to troubleshoot the unit today.

Hopefully someone can advise me on what to do so my houce can be warm.
Robert

Hi,

Most likely a faulty Sequencer or Heating Element.

Do you have a meter to test voltages and are you comfortable doing so ?

If so, we offer troubleshooting help for a $20 fee.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order4b.html

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
NorbertH

I suspect it is the element. Fat chance of getting one on a Sunday afternoon/evening !

How long would it take for you to send one to me? This is what I found on your web site.

3500-410P/A Heating ElementElectric furnace heating element assembly with limit switches. New. 9.6KW, 240V. Front mounting plate measures 10.74" x 3.25". Element is 9.75" deep. Replaces 3500-4101. Your price $117.00.

I didn't order one yet. I'm concerned about the shipping cost and time. I'm never home to accept packages during the day.

If I got the heating element including the limiters it would most likely fix it. The sequencer appears to be working well but I can't really tell. For another $25.00 I could be certian.
NorbertH

Would it be good or advisable as long as I'm replacing the element and sequencer to get the next larger element? It looks more durable and is also hotter.
Robert

Hi,

The Heating Element and Sequencer MUST be correct one for your Furnace. You can't install another one of higher kw without rewiring the furnace and furnace circuit cables and breakers to handle increased kw and amperages.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanElec.html

Heating Element # 3500-410P/A = $117.00

Sequencer # 3110-3571 = $24.41

Shipping = $18 (Priority Mail)

Would ship Monday or Tuesday. (Hopefully Monday, but due to blizzard in S.D., may be Tuesday.

2-3 day delivery time normally.

Can ship FedEx overnight IF you have your own FedEx Account.

Other overnights are $24 - $42 approx, could be somewhat higher and not always gauranteed next day delivery in all areas.

If interested, please add items to cart and order through PayPal or call toll free to 1-877-263-7860 and charge to Visa or Mastercard.

If overnight is desired, let me know and I'll get definate rates.

Thanks for inquiring and allowing us to assist you.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
NorbertH

Thank You for your help Bob!

I ordered the parts on PayPal. I hope they can be shipped Monday. The people in South Dakota are very used to blizzards! LOL

I figure if I replace both the element and the sequencer there could not be anything else wrong. I hope you agree.

God Bles You!

Norbert
Robert

Hi Norbert,

They got hit by 2 winter storms, then a blizzard within a week to 10 days. It just kept coming with 50mph winds causing drifts.

It caused a white out and closed down most of city. Roads had to be cleared and it created a 3 day down time with no shipments.

When the city closes roads and businesses, it stops Mark's ability to get parts from distributor, if not stocked at office and ship them.

All should be open by tomorrow, but Mark will be shipping from Thursday on.

He'll try to get as much shipped tomorrow as possible, shipping in order they were ordered and available.

For sure by Tuesday, but he will try his best for Monday.

Those parts would cover about 85%-90% of problems with your symptoms.

By what you stated, you can probably add 5%-10% to that, so that will most likely cover it.

Please update us once they're there and installed.

Place your t-stat or furnace in the Fan ON/Continous, so nothing comes on but the blower motor only.

IF the blower runs ok by itself, you have 24v low voltage and 240v main voltage, so that's ok.

This also tells you your transformer and breaker is ok.

The wiring is most likely ok also.

Soooooo, if blower runs in Fan ON position, then those parts should take care of you.

Thanks for ordering, we appreciate it very much.

Robert
NorbertH

My parts finally arrived Thursday. Now I have the chance to put them in and low and behold I was not able to get the wires back on correctly. Could you please tell me - or better yet show a picture - of how the wires are routed from the breaker to the sequencer and element!

It is a Coleman - Evcon Model # EB10B

Thanks for your help!

Norbert
Robert

Do You have a wiring diagram ?

That would be best since the wiring colors may differ.

Let me know and if not, will see what I can do.

Thanks,
Robert
NorbertH

Hi Robert,

No, I don't have a wiring diagram! That would have been a good piece of paper to have included with the numerous other papers sent with the unit. But alas - that wasn't one of the "importiant documents" included with my furnace.

I should have taken a picture of the wires before attempting to replace the parts. So, being in a hurry to get the parts installed I went ahead without the picture. Now - my haste is causing a further delay. Does stupid sound applicable?

I believe that if the sequencer wiring can be correctly configured everything will be accomplished. To that end the sequencer has terminals labled:

M1 (2 connections) M1a M1b

M2 ( 2 connections) M2a M2b

M3

M4

H1 ( 2 connections) H1a H1b

H2 (2 connections) H2a H2b

I have present the following 10 wires expressed by origin terminal and color:

From the breaker:

Black wire (hot) side, 2 Orange wires

they, for sure, attach to the limit switches on the element panel
does it matter which one either goes too? I suspect it does not.

White wire (neutral) side, 2 yellow wires

Suspect terminal M1 Does it matter which side they are on? I don't believe it does.

M3 Suspect connection to the
Thermostat control switch - yellow wire

M4 Suspect connection to
thermostat control switch- blue wire

H1 2 connections

H1a suspect connection to:
orange wire from transformer

H1b suspect connection to:
black wire from transformer

H2 (2 connections)

H2a suspect connection to
white wire from transformer

H2b suspect connection to
yellow wire from transformer

The picture shown on the web site

HTTP://WWW.mobilehomerepair.com/media/i ... 0-3571.jpg

shows the picture of my sequencer switch

H2 is shown on the bottom plate having two connections the closest one I labeled H2a
the further one H2b

above that terminal on the same side is found M3 (one connection)

above M3 is M4 (2 connections)
M1a is closest
M1b is father away

on the other side of the sequencer switch mounting plate is
H1 (2 connections)
H1a is closest
H1b is farther away

above H1 is

M4 (one connection)

Above M4 is M2 (2 connections)

M2a is closest
M2b is father away

I realize this information is perhaps not the most discernable for you to decipher. I rely on your extensive knowledge and experience to - hopefully - help me put this thing back together! If there is any way I could better describe the wiring or if you have any questions I'd be so happy to answer them and hopefully "get er done!"

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help with this simple project I screwed up so badly! A simple digital picture in the beginning would have allowed me to very quickly reattached the wires without any further thought on the matter. Now - I need your expertice - very much - in order to remedy my stupidity and the lack of information avaliable from Coleman - or whatever they are being called now.

I hope you can get back with me soon as the weather is nice - for the present time but heat will be needed at night and most likely AC during the afternoons in the next few days.

Thanks again! GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!

Norbert
Robert

Hi Norbert,

I think it would be easiest for you with a wiring diagram. I am in process of getting one emailed to you by tonight.

We normally charge $15 for them, but will send one at no charge due to your having bought the parts from us.

If I am unable to have this done by tonight, can for sure do tomorrow.

Heading out the door at present, but will look at your wiring notes tonight and IF I can't send wiring diagram tonight, MAY be able to walk you through when I see what you have.

Just bear with me a bit and we'll get you hooked back up.

Please do not attempt hook up until sure as if any wires get cross wired, you'll destroy your low voltage circuit and inherit a very costly repair, not to mention the injury that could result from it also.

Robert
Robert

Hi Norbert,

Hope you received the wiring diagram and got it wired back up.

Please update us when you can.

Thanks,
Robert