Coleman model 4084A656, with 40084-6601 gas conversion

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

JAMAC

I am having problems with my Coleman direct vent, sealed combustion system, forced air furnace, model 4084A656, with 40084-6601 gas conversion. The problem is intermittent. When it acts up, you hear a noise coming from the furnace. It acts like it is gonna come on. When the furnace does not work it never gets to next stage where you normally hear a more powerful noise and the heat comes thru the vents. The less powerful first noise keeps going on for about fifteen minutes and finally stops, shutting itself down. Shortly after this, it will try again, repeating the same process. When we hear it "get stuck" we usually go and shut down the furnace at the thermostat. We wait awhile, then turn it back on. The problem is getting worse as this does not always work and leaves us without heat for long blocks of time. Any help is appreciated as I need to buy the parts to fix this before the winter really sets in. Thanks.
hvac1000

I recommend you contact a professional for any and all conversions. There is mort to it than orifice changes. You need special tools to be able to adjust gas pressure and make sure the system is safe.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
JAMAC

Thanks for the response hvac1000. I am not converting the unit. The information stating gas conversion is displayed on the furnace where the model number is displayed. This furnace is approximately 15 years old and is orginal to the mobile home. We have had two servicemen check the furnace for this problem. One says he couldnt find any problem. The furnace was malfunctioning when the second man came. He said he wasnt really sure but was gonna order a part. That was last winter and he has yet to return. Should we try the charm....a third serviceman?
hvac1000

I am not much on noise discriptions. Does the main blower run that blows air into the house?

if the burner you have has a flame sensor clean it with steel wool or sandpaper (the metal part).

report back
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
JAMAC

The main blower does not run when the problem occurs. The blower doesnt kick on because when there is a call for heat, the igniter doesnt light. Whatever relay is suppose to ignite the igniter doesnt and the system shuts down. I base this on listening to the system. When it is working normal you can hear the ignitor work.
Where is the flame sensor on this unit? I have had the furnace apart and am not sure where this is.
Robert

Hi,

The model number 4084A656 does not show in our database.

It does show 4084B656, but has no info or parts listing .

The furnace will either have a flame sensor next to burner and ignitor or the ignitor may also act as a flame sensor.

You cannot touch the ignitor or flame sensor with bare hands or fingers and clean with steel wool only, do not use sandpaper.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JAMAC

Thank you Robert for your response. I double checked the model number, with a magnifying glass, and it is an "A" for sure. The furnace states it is manufactored by Evcon Industies Inc. Wichta, Kansas. Does that make any difference in finding the information on the furnace? It concerns me to know there are no listings or parts, does this mean a new furnace may be the only fix should the problem be more than the cleaning? Re: cleaning, thanks for the information. I will report back once this is done. Thanks again
Robert

Our database is from Coleman distribution center and as stated, does not show that.

Will have to check by phone Monday or Tuesday and see.

However, it showed the 4084B, but had no parts listings as if it is obsolete.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JAMAC

Hi, I am writing for my husband...he had a recent surgery and has been unable to respond....as soon as he is able he will be back to update regarding the furnace..thank you
Robert

Hi,

Thanks for the info, hope he is recovering well and give him my best for a speedy recovery.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert