Coleman Red T DGAA070BDTA Igniter burnout

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

TN

Hi Guys!

I purchased this furnace about 5 years ago and have had to replace 5 igniters in that time. The last 2 were the of the nitro type, this last one that burned out I put in 3 weeks ago. I've always been careful not to put my fingers on the element so thats not an issue. Tonight when I removed the igniter I noticed about a quarter inch of the tip was broke off, and I also noticed the insulation around the sensor is now cracked, needless to say that now needs to be replaced. It just boggles my mind why I can't keep an igniter in this thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
hvac1000

If you can find one of these that will fit your burner get one. They do last longer.

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdf ... Mod_SS.pdf

Cross refrence

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdf ... 7-6299.pdf

You might also check with Robert on this board to see if they carry these in stock for your MH furnace. Have a great Thanksgiving.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
TN

If you can find one of these that will fit your burner get one. They do last longer.
I think you missed the point here. Five Igniters in Five Years, the furnace is Five Years Old. The furnace it replaced was over 20 years old and I Never replaced an igniter. The last one was replaced three weeks ago and it's burned out already. What's wrong with this picture???

The last Two Igniters out of the Five were Silicon Nitride, the same as what you are recomending, they have a website at www.ignitersdirect.com and are warranted for 3 years.

I guess what I was looking for here was some expertise and advice on the underlying root cause of all this Igniter Burnout, not a replacement source or the need to carry an inventory in my home of igniters to get me through the winter.
hvac1000

In all the many years in the HVAC biz I have never had a problem with ignitors like you have.

((they have a website at www.ignitersdirect.com and are warranted for 3 years))

Looks like you can send them back and get a free one under the warrenty at least.

BTW there is a cure for what you are talking about and it is a system that adjusts the voltage to the ignitor to make it last longer.

It is called the perfect light system is a great new digital voltage regulator others like lennox and ammana use this, its a great system the extends the ignitors life. By constanly lowering voltage goin to the ignitor each cycle... It always tries to light at the lowest voltage possible.... I have not yet replaced an ignitor on systems with this design.

You will have to do your own research on this device because it is not part of the mobile home HVAC systems and I hope I did not miss the point this time. Good hunting.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Robert

Have you just been replacing them or has a Tech done a thorough inspection of unit and operation ?

BTW, please remember that we are here, have never seen your furnace and cannot test it in any way. There is only so much we can do irregardless of how much expertise we have.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?