Simply a point of information request...no emergency!

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bilbar25

...It could be closed off registers in parts of the home. They all need to be open in our types of homes...

...Yep, all registers should remain open at all times. The ducts are made of thin aluminum and smaller than conventional housing and the change in static pressure could cause problems.

That is just the main reason

The above two posts (by Robert and HVAC) left me very curious as to reasons for those statements.

I'm not denying the truthfulness , just curious as to what problems that "closing, or even partially closing" the registers in certain parts of our homes could result.

I have never heard of recommendations like these before and have had various rooms closed down or heat reduced by partially closing registers for years !!!

Makes one wonder why there are registers in the floor vents at all.....why not just a grill covering the outlets?

Robert , or Hvac, ....could both or either of you expound on your statements?

(by the way...after reading your comments...I did go open all registers!)

Thanks...

Bill
[color=red]When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice![/color]
hvac1000

It is real simple. Our homes have very small ducts. The blowers in the furnace run at a very high static pressure. The higher the static pressure the more labor on the fan motor and the heat exchanger in the furnace.

The blower is supposed to remove so many BTUs of heat from the heat exchanger. When some of the registers are closed it cannot do that and that taxes the system causing possible early blower motor or heat exchanger failure.

We only tell people here truthful things from our years of experience. I have 40 years HVAC experience and Robert has about the same.

Many folks like to shut the registers thinking they will save energy. In some cases that might be true but you are also putting a strain on your system.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
bilbar25

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply.

Bill
Robert

Hi Bill,

HVAC beat me to it, but it is to keep static pressures normal and to keep the heat load from remaining in the heat chamber.

Yes, people have did it for years with no problems.

Others have did it and had non-stop problems unaware of why.

It's like not attaching decks or additions to MH's or don't put down tile floors in MH's.

Has it been done with success, yes. Has it been disasterous way more often, yes.

Can you close a register for short periods, yes. If I go to bathroom next to furnace and close door, it gets very hot in there quick with heat on.

I'll close the register for short period cause two other registers close by will keep things ok for this short period IF heat comes on.

Only in short, infrequent times as that should you close the vents.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
bilbar25

Thanks to you also Robert.......

Bill
Robert

Hi Bill,

You're very welcome.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?