Furnace off set from duct work

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

76artcraft

Model:DGAA077BDTB
Installed March 06

Hi,
Our furnace was installed a little off set in it's small space.
I wasn't there for the install. I guess they (furnace installers) had to trim back the wall, because the old one had paneling all around it on the out side(to make it look like it wasn't there?)
Because the furnace is off set it makes it a little difficult to put on/off the furnace panels.

Was Kinda upset to find (just found it this year) a little gap where heat can escape.
When looking in the insulated "chamber" the duct work doesn't match up with the furnace and there is a little 1.5"x .5"(I think it was) gap. Can I cover this with metal tape or something or should the furnace be positioned better?

It gets pretty warm in that room even though the door is louvered(? slats so air gets in). So most times I leave the door open, but then the door is right in front of the furnace and I worry it will block air to the furnace.

So just wondering what to do about the gap?
And is it normal for the furnace installers to leave a gap and not cover it or tell about it?
Trying to save every bit of heat I can living here in MN.
Thanks
Samantha
76artcraft

Hi, I forgot to say my furnace is a Coleman.
Model: DGAA077BDTB
And moving the furnace is something I definitely wouldn't do myself.
Just need to know if I should be concerned about this and/or what do I cover the gap with so it would be furnace compliant - fire safe - whatever ya call it.
I would try to find the material that is used on the inside but I don't know what it's attached with? - some kind of glue maybe? I'd be afraid to glue anything inside of my furnace for fear it would be extremely flammable.
76artcraft

Hi Again,
Just wanted to share more info.Image
I took another look, forgot what it looked like...
I guess air can escape from the back part too. There are 2 saw marks and it looks like they pulled the metal up a bit there. The gap I was talking about is in the left back corner, but now I'm more concerned about the pulled up metal.
They sat the new furnace on top of a part of the old furnace.

sam
hvac1000

Usually sheet metal is used to plug this type of gap. Cut to fit and screw down.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Robert

If proper accessories are purchased, there shouldn't be any gaps after install.

After 1.5 years, not much you can do now, but do as HVAC suggested.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?