Red T Products model DGAA

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

wayne

Hi
This furnace is one year old. We bought this house 3 months ago. When the furnace kicks on it works perfectly except after the burner lights and before the fan starts there is a sound of metal popping like sheet metal expanding or something. Its loud enough to wake me up in the night.

I read through the web site here and the furnace seems to be working fine except for that noise.
Should I worry?
Should I get a furnace man here to look at it?
Thanks
Wayne
Robert

Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately, mobile home duct trunklines are made of thin aluminum in most homes.

It is easily expandable and therefore it does so when temp is drasticly changed inside.

That is normal and varies from home to home.

For peace of mind, you could have it inspected, but that is most likely all to be found.

I'm not there though, so you do what gives you assurance all is ok.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
wayne

Thanks for the reply Robert
This is a downflow furnace and the main duct line in under the furnace.
This noise is coming from the upper part of the furnace.
I guess in the back of my mind I'm thinking heat exchanger since that can be dangerous.
We're going to get an appointment with the furnace guy to take a look at it.
Thanks
Wayne
Robert

Hi Wayne,

The noise can travel also and be from other than where it sounds. The metal sides of furnace can also pop.

The combustion chamber/heat exchanger can also pop as it expands and contracts.

Alot can cause it including rivets coming loose in heat exchanger, so best to know for sure.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?