Coleman 7956A856 Won't stay lit.

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

foolios

Coleman Direct Vent Forces Air Furnace 7956A856

Originally I wasn't getting any gas out of the pilot to light. It just wouldn't light up. So I tried cleaning that little pipe and still didn't get anything. After that I went and replaced the valve.
Now with the new valve, I do get gas coming out that will light when I am holding down the pilot button. Even after holding it for several minutes a few times, it does not stay lit.
I have read other posts indicating that this could mean that the thermocouple wire isn't doing it's job of heating up and keeping the gas on feature working. Safety mechanism?

I am wondering how can I tell if a thermocouple wire is faulty or bad?
I know the end of it is pretty charred. Should I just brush it and see if it will conduct heat better that way?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Robert

Hi,

You need proper tools/equipment to test with. There are only two things that can do that, one is gas valve which you replaced.

The other is the thermocouple. There are inexpensive and with gas valve already replaced, that is all that's left.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
foolios

Thank you, that's what I was hoping it hear is that I would probably just need to replace that.
It looks to be around $30 for a new thermocouple wire.

I guess trying to just sand off the outer edges aren't enough?
Robert

Best to replace if it is bad, sanding won't help.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?