DGAT070BDF Fuse Blows

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mrfixit64857

First of all, thanks for the site! Great info I have picked up on in here!
My DGAT070BDF is under a recall. I didn't know this until this problem arose, so the problem may have saved a life. Still, I am a man of limited means who is forced to do much of his own work, within my limits of course.
I must confess, I blew it. I read another post where someone else did a similar thing, and that has given me the courage to admit my own error here.
I was cleaning and working on the furnace when I noticed a few of the wire connections were poorly taped. I'm a strong believer in WireNuts on these type of connections so I unravelled the tape on the connections and went after my wirenuts. I set the box there by the connections and it didn't want to stay, so it tried to fall. I grabbed at it, and in the process two of the bare connections, a RED and a WHITE, met each other and there was a nice bright spark... but short-lived. All of a sudden my furnace's little green eye went dark. I looked the board over and found a 10 amp blade fuse had blown. Back to my supplies, found a replacement, put it in and turned the side switch back on. I noticed little whiffs of smoke coming out of the back of the board in the upper left corner, so I flipped it back off right away. I took my flashlight and began further inspection of the board, and noticed that the fuse I replaced was SUPPOSED to be a 3 amp, not a 10, even tho that was what was in there since I have had it.
My question is this: What could I have toasted on this? As I mentioned, it was the RED and the WHITE connections that come from the board's upper left corner that got crossed. If it may be the transformer, how do I test this, without powering up the board and causing further damage? HELP!
Robert

Hi ,

That is the Red power wire to t-stat and white heating wire from t-stat back to the board.

Go to transformer and test across the 24VAC secondary LOAD side for 24-28vac.

It may have fried the transformer or possibly the board since it had wrong fuse installed.

If the transformer is ok, good chance it ruined the board.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mrfixit64857

Thanks, Robert! I;ll do that when I get home.
Just to clarify: if I remove the fuse and power up, does that energize the transformer so I can test it?

Thanks again,
Tom
Robert

Turn power to furnace OFF. Just remove the wires after marking where they go from the LOAD/SECONDARY/24VAC side of transformer.

Turn power ON.

Then using a multi-meter, place one lead on one terminal and other lead on the other terminal.

You are testing the transformer for 24-28vac.

You can remove the fuse from the board beforehand.

IF you do not read 24-28vac, then test across the other LINE/PRIMARY/120VAC side for 120vac.

IF you have 120vac across LINE side and do not have 24-28vac across LOAD side, transformer is bad.

IF you have 120vac/LINE and 24-28vac/LOAD, then most likely the board is toast.

With the 10amp fuse, it allowed 7 more amps than designed for before it blew the fuse.

That most likely fried the board.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mrfixit64857

Thanks. I had tested it this afternoon, and the transformer seems to be still working fine, putting out 26.4 VAC.

I have seen this board on sale for about $177. Is that a fair price for one?

Also, since day one, this furnace has had a "Hum" to it, and it seems to be coming from the back until I touched the transformer today... that made the HUM go away, lol!
Is this just a harmonic byproduct of the transformer, or is it a sign of bigger problems?

Thanks again for letting me pick your brain on this.
Tom
Robert

Hi,

Integrated Control Board # 7990-320P @ $172.00 + $8.00 shipping .

This is our every day price.

It can be seen and ordered from here:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html

Scroll down left side to locate, click on pic for enlarged view.

If interested, please add to cart and order through PayPal or call toll free to 1-877-263-7860 after 9AM CST M - F and charge to Visa or Mastercard.

I would be sure board is in fact bad first before buying. Could be further damage in area of smoke.

You're very welcome, glad to help.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrfixit64857

Yes, I was planning on tagging all the wires and removing it to have a look-see before I buy, and I need to wait til payday anyway :(

Thanks!
Tom
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome. Look for burnt spots or brown signs of overheating.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert