Blower problems

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jacksraging

I have a Coleman 7680 model 856 furnace. The furnace turns on but the fan will only work for a few minutes before it shuts off. It will stay off for 30 seconds to 2 minutes and then turn back on only to turn back off again. This is all when the fan is in the On position. The fan will rarely turn on when in automatic. The fan is also has an excessive noise. The blower cage spins freely with no problems when the motor is off and spun by hand. I have recently oiled the motor. Do I need a new motor?
hvac1000

It looks like your motor might be getting to the of its useful life. You may try changing the capacitor for the motor first to see if that solves the problem. usually when a motor runs for 30 to 60 seconds it is going out on the internal overload. The next time it does this shut off the power and feel the motor to see if it is hot.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
jacksraging

The motor is hot to the touch...I can touch it with out getting burned but I wouldn't leave my hand on it. I don't believe the motor has a run capacitor, it certainly isn't on the wiring diagram. The motor is coleman 7670-311.
hvac1000

According to the part number you gave here is the address to get your motor. The new part number is 7966-311P. Both the old and new motors do not need a run capacitor. NOTE You may also need a molex connecor. There is a line to click for the molex connector in the same exact area as where the motor is listed it says here. Click on the link and pick the connector you need.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanGas.html < MOTOR

It is 6 down on the left side of the page. You can order and it will be shipped to you pronto.

Thank you
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.