Coleman, Nordyne, or Intertherm?

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Allen S

I am not 100% sure on what I have here in my MH, but I am guessing Coleman. The condensing unit has a model number of BRCQ042C, serial number 930330242 and a brand name of Coleman. The A-coil is also a Coleman with a model number MBC42CQ. The box directly under the blower that has all the electric components and houses the fuses has a brand name of Nordyne, model number FEHA-023HA-01 and the front panel has an Itertherm logo on it. Is it possible that someone had mixed a few parts here and there? I just recently bought this place and the problem I am having is my drip pan is leaking. It was not leaking a month ago when the home inspector had all the panels off looking at it. He just noted the pan was rusty and the coils needed cleaning. No big deal, so shortly after moving in last week I cleaned the coil and all the gunk out of the drip pan and thought I was good to go. Today when I was under the house getting ready to run some Cat 5 cable I heard water dripping onto the vapor barrier on the ground. Is it possible my cleaning efforts had created the leak by loosing up the rust in the drip pan? The A-coil itself is showing quite a bit of rust as well. Would I be better off to replace both A-coil and pan or just the pan. I also need a little assistance in determining which A-coil I would need.
Thanks in advance
Allen
hvac1000

Did you check to make sure the drain line is not plugged up? I would check that first.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Allen S

I have checked the drain line and it does work properly, but here is what I have found in the process of checking the drain line. When I pour some bleach water mixture into the drain pan it does drain but not all the way. There is about a 1/8th inch of water left in the pan (this is all done with unit off) that just sits there. So this got me thinking, if the drains work and there is water still the pan and it does not leak when the unit is off maybe my leak is higher up in the pan. So I closed the drain line with a squeeze clamp and filled the pan to the rim. I let the water sit in there for over an hour with no signs of leaks. So now I am really confused. I release the clamp and let the water drain. There is still the 1/8th inch or so that will not drain. I turn the unit on and like magic the water that was left in the pan is gone, but it is not going down the drain tube. Instead it is getting sucked under the a-coil. It is kind of hard to describe so I will do my best. Looking at the coil as it is installed, right where the feet touch the pan there is a small gap just on the inside of the feet on both sides. This is where the water is being sucked into and being slung all over the place. I do not know if this gap is there by design or is it just rusted out in those two areas as the rest of the areas seemed to be sealed. I also have another question. In previous MH’s I have lived in the air return was above the a-coil and your filter slide in a slot above the coil. On this unit, whatever brand it is, the air return is in front of the coil and there is no slot for a filter. Someone had put in a couple of drywall screws at both upper corners and left them sticking out in order to hold the filter, the bottom half of the filter sits against the return line from the compressor. I really do not know if the position of my air return is causing the water problem or not, however, I thought I would mention it.
Sorry for the long post,
Allen
Robert

Hi Allen,

I didn't read all above posts, just some and will add this to see if it helps.

Your outdoor a/c Condenser and A-Coil are Coleman and your Furnace is Intertherm (made by Nordyne).

It is common to have a Coleman or Nordyne furnace and the other brand of a/c added later. They both are accepteble and compatible with each other.

As for water problem, there is usually an eighth inch left in pan after draining.

Also, does your drainline have a trap in the line, preferrably close to the pan or as close as possible ?

Look at line from pan to floor and then from underneath home at belly to outside.

IF there is not a trap, install one.

On downflow pull through designs (a-coil atop furnace blower), you will pull air back through drainline and it will force the residual water out of pan.

The trap prevents this.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Allen S

Yes there is a trap installed. It is approx 2 feet below the pan.
Robert

Make sure it is holding the water in the trap. If so, make sure the A-Coil is clean and that airflow is going through the coil, not around it.

If these do not help resolve this, have a Tech inspect it as the water will cause a costly repair if not corrected soon.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Allen S

Just an update to my situation with my A/C. I took your advice Robert and had a Tech come out and take a look at the unit. The problem is that the air is going around the coil instead of through it. The fins are badly damaged in a lot areas plus there is some deep embedded dirt in them. Luckily when we bought the houses it came with a year warranty on all major appliances, electrical, and plumbing. I am not sure which route the warranty company is going to take, the tech is strongly suggesting coil replacement versus straighting and cleaning.
Thanks for everyones help, much appreciated!

Allen
hvac1000

I agree replace the coil. Just make sure you get the correct one that will work. It would be best to contact Robert about the coil to make sure you get one of the correct SEER.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.