Furnace Filter Warning

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

This week I attended some continuing education in hvac. I ran into the Stylecrest rep. Stylecrest is the mobile home side of Coleman. He said, "Mark, one of the biggest issues we have with our furnaces is that people are using the wrong air filter."

He went on to say that people are buying those pleated filters and they are shortening the life of the furnace. Sure, the pleated filters catch more dirt and dust, but they also restricting air flow which makes the furnace run hotter and push less air. He said sometimes those furnaces run so hot, they trip the limit switches or deform the plastic cover found on newer furnaces. I said I've seen that happen before.

So what the Stylecrest rep is saying is that people need to use only the filters designed for the unit. Sure, they are the cheap inexpensive looking filters (or the foam filter), but that's what people need to be using. If you aren't sure which type of filter yours should be using, then please e-mail us the full model number of your unit and we'll tell you.

You can buy the cheap inexpensive filters everywhere. The foam filters are available here: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/foamfilter.htm

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Robert

The main filter people need to be aware about is filters made by 3M.

Those filters work too good and would have to be changed out often.

This doesn't get done and thus the overheating problems.

Normally, every 30 days is fine with filter changes/cleanings, but they should be checked weekly.

However, beware of some cheap filters not filtering enough and allowing dirt and dust to pass through with the air.

This is reason for yearly cleanings/inspection/service with gas furnaces by a Tech.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?