Furnace pilot won't stay lit

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

decals4u

Hi There.... we have a Coleman model 7680B856 downdraft furnace. We had the gas shut off for the summer and we have since got the furnace pilot lit, but the flame seems larger than the normal pilot we had before. Now when I turn the furnace on the burner flames also look larger than before, and the fan stays on for 5-6 minutes after the heat shuts off. Then the next time the furnace is called on the pilot is out??I have re-lit it 3 times in the last 14 hours. We also have had problems for years with the pilot being blown out on really windy days which is strange because we are fully skirted?? Gas valve was replaced 2 winters ago, thermocouple the year before that. Do we need to clean the burners some how?? It has never been cleaned as long as we have been here (almost 7 years) but the blower has been cleaned. Any and all information would be appreciated. Thank you
Robert

Hi, Yes, have it cleaned and serviced. get the roof-jack inspected for downdraft.

It should be cleaned and serviced evry fall before winter.

With all the new parts, I would start with the cleaning and see if that helps.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
lefties

HEY ROBT,,where ya been?
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
decals4u

Thank you for the information. I was worried it was the heat exchanger!
Robert

Hi,

It ~may~ be the heat exchanger. A thorough clean and service inspection will determine that and is reason for doing yearly.

Hopefully not, but too dangerous to not know for sure.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Robert

Hi Lefties,

Been right here.

Robert