Looking to update old heating system.

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Just_A_Chik

Here is the information I could get from the cabinet:

Coleman Central Electric
Furnace- 047877747
Model Number - 3115-b-75
Blower Number- 3118-590

We are looking to buy a replacement for this unit. Or somehow update it. Right now it is costing up over $200 to run in the winter time. Our single-wide is 16x80. We are only home part of the time, and normally it only gets cold at night in the winter. We do have a limited budget as we are first time home owners (with no clue on these things :) ) Could anyone suggest a website, a good replacement idea, or a lower cost alternative.

Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.
hvac1000

Strait electric heat is strait electric heat. In other words there has been no improvement in electric furnaces since they were already 100% efficient in 1950 and they are 100% efficient in 2007.

So unless you just want a new looking furnace forget that idea.

Now if you install a new electric furnace an a heat pump with it then you will save $$$. A heat pump will save you a good amount of money on your utility bill but they also cost extra to buy. Then when a heat pump eventually breaks like they all do it cost a lot more to fix that a strait electric furnace.

It is like a NO win scenario.

You might also research into a different kind of heat. Gas or oil. But here again you are going to spend a lot of money to buy it. So it will be many years till the unit eventually pays for itself by lowering the utility bill.

Now you could try and plug all the air leaks and tighten up the belly of the unit because I am sure you could save some $$ that way but it does take time to do it correctly.

Other than the above there is not a reasonable price cure for your situation.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Just_A_Chik

Well we really need to stick with an electric furnace. We are planning on doing some work with the ducts. I think mostly what I was wanting to know is, what would a suitable make/model replacement be for that particular furnace. It has been 'fixed up' more times that I could probably explain, and I'm not sure what would be good for our home, as in size of a furnace.
hvac1000

The KW size is not listed on the web site here so I do not know the size you have now. Robert will be along sometime Wednesday and I am sure he can answer the size question.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Just_A_Chik

Alright, Thank You so much for your time.
Robert

Hi,

You have a 15KW Furnace (50X20X24) in size dimensions. Any electric furnace that is downflow and rated for a MH of this size would be fine.

I would stay with 15KW as that is size there now and the 50X20X24 would be correct to fit in that space.

Most popular for MH's is Coleman, Miller, Intertherm. There are some other brands who have come out with a unit for MH's.

We no longer sell furnaces to homeowners, so can be of no help in that task.

If you need further info, post again and I'll answer as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

This heat wave has taken a toll on many units and me as well,LOL.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?