Coleman 3500A-816 Furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Gone Costal

Hi everyone, my wife and I just bought a place on the Oregon coast and started with plans on fixing it up. Found this forum while searching the electric Coleman furnace. Man am I glad I did, there is a ton of great information and knowledgable people here.

Have a quick question for you about the furnace. It seems to come on okay yesterday while we were down there putting together our to do list before we move in in about a month. There are extra filters for it so I will be chancing them next time down.

My question this, is this a very effecient heater for a 1600 SQ Ft house. The home is a 1991 and has 6" wide ourside walls and hopefully great insulation. In this area alone the coast we don't get many days of bitter cold. Occationally it will get down in the 20s for a few days but normally 30-40s if I remember correctly.

We are also thinking of installing a heat pump or A/C unit. Any suggestions on which would be better cost wise. Again, along the coast it doesn't get blistering hot but occasionally it will hit the 90s for a few weeks. maybe just a wall unit in the bedroom window for sleeping purposes. I just don't like the security issue with a wall/window unit.

Thnaks for any replies and suggestions. I have a other projects I need hlep with also ! Like a 60" whirlpool tub sticking out the 2nd bedroom wall. I figure some plumber took advanage of the edlery gentleman that owned the place. What a hack job and mess.
hvac1000

If you electric furnace works OK you could add a Central A/C OR heat pump on to it. You would almost have to calculate your energy savings to see how much a heat pump would save you in the winter as compared to a strait electric furnace.

A heat pump will always save you money and since your temperature's are not real cold most of the time you will save more $$ than most because a heat pump is more efficient the warmer the outside temperature is.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Gone Costal

Thanks for the advise and I think a heat pump might be the way we will go to gain the a/c portion of it anyway and use the coleman as a back up.

We were down there for 3 day working and we notice the heater isn't functioning properly. I think they installed the wrong thermostat as it as A/C and heat on it. Maybe this is normal. But we set the temp to 68 and couldn't get the heater to shut automatically. The temp was around 80 the first time we noticed it.

Any advise of what to look for or should I just install a new thermostat per ther manufactures spec? Any help will be appreciated.
hvac1000

Sounds like the thermostat was installed wrong or it is defective. In may cases it is easier to install a new stat because you will have the instructions. I would check the old one first and check the wiring.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.