Evcon 7956C856 Won't Turn On

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

the_trots

Hello,

I have visited this forum before and always recieved great help.

My home has a Coleman Evcon Presidential furnace

Model 7956C856

56000 BTU Input

46000 BTU Output

S/N 069166732

This furnace won't turn on. The pilot light was out so I relit it, and it has stayed lit. No matter where the thermostat is set the furnace does nothing. I can hear a hum, I assume this is the transformer. I have turned the furnace off and on numerous times, at the furnace, and at the breaker.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Greg

If it has a thermocoupler I would check that first. They have been known to out to lunch for no reason. They are relatively cheap and good to have on hand just in case.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
the_trots

Ok Greg,

I will try that. I have been avoiding that because it looks like I have to remove the gas valve to get inside the furnace in any way.

An update I have is that if I short the Red and White wires at the thermostat (tape them together) the furnace runs and heats fine as long as they are shorted together. With a thermostat installed (I have tried 2, an old mercury one and a new Honeywell digital) the furnace will never come on.
DaleM

If you are twisting red and white together you have already solved your problem. It is the thermostat. Does the new Honeywell have a time delay in it? If so the unit will not come on for a few minutes after the tstat calls for heat. The old tstat may be bad as well as the one on the wall in the first place.