Control Board Fuse

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dzimmer

I have a Coleman GDAT090088 with an AC unit. When I turned on the AC this year it would not run. I found a blown 5 amp fuse on the board. Did not have a 5 amp but I had a 3 amp. Put the 3 amp in and it ran for 3-4 days and blew again. OK so I went and got some 5 amp fuses and put a 5 amp in, it ran 6-7 days and blew again. I put in another 5 amp last night and it is running again. I am assuming there must be somethng wrong with the board?

Thanks
DaleM

Most likely nothing wrong with the board. Check the low voltage wiring going to the condenser unit. Sometimes critters chew and crawl on the wires causing them to momentarily short the circuit. That takes out the fuse. You put a new one in and it's a few days before another critter walks on the wires while the sytem is running and shorts them again. FYI only use a 3 amp fuse, it will protect the board. 5 amp may be too big.
dzimmer

Thanks, I will look at low voltage wires. I have never changed fuses so I figured 5 amp was correct, I will put 3 amp in.
dzimmer

Fuse has been on for almost 2 weeks and stilll good. I did not find anything with low voltage wires when I looked, I am pretty sure it will be back to haunt me

update 10/17 still working w/ no issues?????