Installing Ceiling Fan Box

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

RickW

Hi I'm new to this forum. I'm glad to find one for mobile homes. I installed 4 ceiling fans in my mobile home. Two out of the four, the ceiling box dropped a little after about a year. So I took the fans down and took the box out and discovered that the only thing holding the electrical box up is a thin piece of aluminum shaped like a "W". I couldn't believe it. Then I discover that there are 1x2's in the ceiling about 12 1/2 inches apart with vertical 2x4's between each pair of 1x2's. I bought one of those expanders but it is too long. Do you sell a shorter one? Or does anyone have any recommendations for me. I do not want to tear the ceiling apart but might have to. Just moved in this mobile home. It's an older home. Thanks for any help.
HouseMedic

If you have a strong enough joist near where your fan will be mounted you can use one of these type boxes. If you have to move the old box over a little just make sure you have enought wire and then use a plastic medallion to cover the old hole. They come in 12 and 16" sizes and mount right to the electrical box.

Ron
ceilingbax.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Check the "Books & parts" section of the site, Mark has an adjustable fan support bar that may work for you.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Another option. I have found that attaching to one furring strip sized truss can cause swaying of the fan as well as it just doesn't seem to be enough truss for a fan. I will usually make an 18" square of 1/2" sanded plywood (for 16" o.c. trusses) and attach that to two trusses, through the ceiling panel. I will cut a hole in the center for a fan box. Above the plywood I attach small pieces of 2x4 to mount the fan box to. I countersink all screws and spackle smooth. Then add wood trim and caulk to the edge of the plywood and paint the whole assembly. This gives a strong stable base for the fan.

An adjustable fan support bar needs to have ends that fit totally over the top of the trusses on these older mobile homes. The type that just spread against the inside of the trusses can eventually push the furring strip trusses apart, making the bar loose or the fan wobble.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

Rick take a close look at the expander you purchased many of them can be shortened from there manufactured length simply by cutting the inside ends shorter on one side.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
crackur

hit up lowes and they have the support box with bar........had 3 installed in my home this past yr.

The past own had a plastic box ceiling fan mounting to just the panel........dangerous.
RickW

Thank you all for your replies. I definitely have some options now. Thanks again.