Tilting porch roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Krunch

Covering a very small back porch is a free-standing 6’deep x 12’ long lean-to type roof. The roof slopes from back to front approximately 10” for rain runoff. The edge next to the house is supported by 4 4”x 4” posts spaced 35”apart. (the posts are set in a few inches from the outside edges of the roof) The front edge is supported by 2 4”x4” posts spaced 9’ apart with a 4”x10” header resting on these two posts. My problem is that the roof has developed a noticeable tilt on one side due to moles tunneling under and around the cement base of the front post and undermining it and causing it to sink. The 2 back posts and the one front post on this side are off level by close to 1”. The front post has developed several large splits due to the pressure from the leaning and I plan on replacing it. What I need to know is: If I place a temporary post on a jack and then slowly jack this side of the roof up, will the jacking automatically push the roof toward the back and into level once again. If so, I would then take out the old post along with the cement base and dig a new hole (much deeper), pour cement and install a new post. Then remove the temporary one. If jacking isn’t the answer, does anyone have suggestions for me. The two back posts have no mole damage, I think they are just out of level because the sinking front post is pulling them forward. I apologize for this being so wordy, but I wanted to give as much information as I could. Thanks for any advice you can give me before I tackle this job.
CPA

I'm trying to visualize the type of jack that you would be using to support the roof during the fix.

What comes to mind for me would be to use a metal basement support post. The kind that has a spiraling height adjustment and use this as your jack device. You could put one in front and in back if necessary to level the roof out.

Just a thought.

Jeff
The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.
altasnowman

Hi CPA, just a thought if you have the room take a 4x4 that would extend out of either side of the roof about 2 feet and using side walk blocks as a base then use 4x4's and jack roof back into place. this will give you room to remove old supports so that you can dig or drill new pilings.I have done this several times on homes I've had to work on. best of luck.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Krunch

Thanks to both of you for your help. You've given me some ideas of how to do this.