Exotic Hardwood Flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MobileNewbie

We got an incredible buy at an auction yesterday on exotic hardwood flooring (I won't say how good, but it was REALLY good). Now, of course, I don't often hear of people putting down that grade of flooring in mobiles, but does anyone have any suggestions? I replaced large chunks of the 3/4" particle board floor, and then put down 5/8" plywood on top of that (all glued and screwed). What else do I need to do to put down the hardwood flooring?
Yanita

Hi,

Congrats on your great deal!

Since you have purchased an exotic wood flooring the first 2 things I recommend:

Let wood acclimate to your home for at least one week, humidity and temps cause the wood to expand and contract,

Next, not knowing what you have under your home I recommend a moisture vapor barrier.

Since I do not know what type of wood you have it would be impossible to give advice on install instructions...bamboo, cork, all these require specific installs.

Do a google on your particular wood type flooring, you should fine many reputable install instructions there.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi There,

Just one word of caution! If you've just glued and screwed down 5/8 plywood over 3/4 particle board you might have a height issue in places.

The proper way to install a sub floor, either mobile or stick built is to replace the whole subfloor.

Sorry, but I wasn't real clear on the subfloor repair. A deal is only a deal if the base or foundation is structurally sound. Other wise, it might cost more than you bargained for!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

Yanita and Maureen gave excellent advice. I would also add that if I was going to lay tile, hardwood or even a good laminate, I would replace all particle board with 3/4" plywood. 1. If the paritcle board under your flooring ever got wet, you would lose all that nice work as the particle board warped or got soft. 2. All floor covering has a recommended flex tolerance, with tile and hardwood requiring the least amount of flex. 1-1/8" tongue and groove may not be out of the question, but as Maureen said, you may have a height issue.

Also, you will want to look into a flooring stapler. These are specific staplers used to fasten the tongue edge of the wood flooring. These can be rented almost anywhere they rent construction tools.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.