Tubular skylight

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kashton

I noticed JD had a pic of a tubular skylight. Are these really hard to install? It would be going through a metal roof. We are having trouble finding a competent man around here to install one for my aunt. I myself refuse to go a roof unless extremely necessary. I also don't think I could get the hole straight. Not to many people here have them, and if they do, they were installed by a roofer.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Yanita

Hey Kashton,

I have no experience with these.

Will look forward to hearing any and all responses though. I have been thinking about one for our hall, it's not real long but horribly dark, even in the day.

Anybody with experience or first hand knowledge with these?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi kashton,

They are actually quite easy to install. The one you saw in the picture was on a comp shingle roof, which adds a slightly higher degree of difficulty. This was a SolarTube unit from Lowe's if I remember right. It came with simple instructions and was very well made. When you seal the skylight to a metal roof, you want to be sure the metal is absolutely clean, down to shiny metal, under the entire flange and out at least 4". I would use butyl rubber window tape under the flange and polyurethane or butyl sealant over the edge. I use Vulkem 116 polyurethane.

On a metal roof, I don't know if a roofer has any advantage. A good mobile home or even RV tech may be more familiar with installing flanges on metal. Actually, I think someone good at moderate DIY could do a perfect job, just because they might care more about their install.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hey JD,

Do you think that these types of skylights allow as much heat or fading to carpets as a traditional skylight?

Yanita
JD
Site Admin

Well, just the fact that they are smaller I think would reduce some of the problem of UV and heat, but there was no filtering that I could see. It seemed to me that this small 10" round light brought in as much light as those 2'x3' roof leakers. The way they are designed, they won't give you a moving shadow effect. The light is very consistent. I know the people that had the skylight installed in their home love theirs. That hall way was always dark, and now it is bright all day. Even overcast days bring in a lot of light.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hey JD,

Is that skylight the one with the flexible tube, the sunlight bounces around in there?

Yanita
JD
Site Admin

Nope, this one has the rigid but jointed tube. It is meant to not be a straight through shot, where you actually see blue sky. The diffuser is opaque. On this skylight, the customer got the optional diffuser that allows more light.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

Greg

Kashto, Wasn't there a guy named Troy up there some where? I bet HE could do it!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hey Guys,

We've got a new company down in Carson City installing these in the area right now.

I have to admit, in this area they do look interesting! These aren't straight, like JD mentioned. They are rigid and installed with a few elbows. They have some sort of reflective material inside them. Looks like they are installed on a slant. They say they can be installed on any home, but I'm not sure about a flat roof. No room to make a real slant!

Yanita, they claim to just let light in. They won't fade carpet or furniture and there is no heat gain, or loss. Next time I get up early, I'll catch that commercial. They run in on the morning news. I do know that they have a website.

Kaston, Once we get the specifics, I'm sure you can coax Troy up on the roof LOL! It does sound like a fairly simple install.

Maureen

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
kashton

Greg,

Unlike lots of us, that guy named Troy a.k.a. Troyster, has gone on holidays with the family. I thought he would have his Lap-top with him to keep up on the site. His wife probably said no. This is really putting a damper on Saturday Beer nights.

This probably would be a good task for him.
kashton

Probably should have started a new thread, but, I was at Rona yesterday and a guy was buying two tubular sky lights. They were flexible. The ones I've seen are straight, and the hole would have to be perfect. He said the flex ones are easier to install, and are almost half the price. Which would be better. I don't remember the name on the box of the manufacturer.
JD
Site Admin

Hi kashton,

All of the straight ones I have seen have angle joints. On a mobile home your angle would be limited by the short space between the ceiling and roof. I think the rigid tubes would give more light and better support to the insulation that needs to be around the tube.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

kashton

Makes sense. Straight tube, more light. With the other, the skylight sits flat against the Pitched roof, then the tube would have to be angled in. If one was to put the tube straight in, light would be lost. If anyone understands what I am talking about. OK, It makes sense in my head!
JD
Site Admin

One thing about the rigid tube is it is a smooth mirror like finish on the inside directing more of the light through the tube. The truly flexible tubes have a mylar surface but it will be more rough and irregular, channeling some light in all directions.

Also, with the rigid tube you can press the tube hard against a square of insulation and use a fresh utility knife blade to cut a nice fitting opening. Then fit the insulation over the hole, push the tube through the ceiling mount about half way, tuck the insulation down against the ceiling, and then push the tube through the roof to fit on the roof mount. Some skylights may need to be installed the other way, but the nice hole in the bat insulation is still easier to work with.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!