Replacing water lines

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mist1953

How hard is it to replace or repair the water lines in your home?? Is this something only a plumber such do or are they easily accessible from underneath of the home. If anyone has replace or repaired their own please let me know how difficult it was or easy. Thank you
Harry

Hi

I am a fairly handy DIY'er ... not a plumber and I have replaced water lines. I recommend pex.

Mark's Repair Manual Chapter 14 covers water lines. It is a very good resource and well worth the money.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Mist, since you did not say how much and what type or plumbing you are replacing it is hard to give an honest answer but here goes.
If you are doing a total 100% replacement of say galvanized pipe it is going to take some timeI would bet on the connectors being rusted solid so plan on sawing them apart with a saws all. PVC is not much better and will have to be cut with a saw. Most of the work will have to be done from under the home (through the belly) so that will be time consuming. It can be a DYI job not too difficult, but time will be a factor. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi Mist, one more thing that I'd like to add! If you do replace your water lines with PEX, you don't need to remove the old water lines. Just run it along side.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
mist1953

Thank you for the replies. I should of been a little more clearer when I asked about replacing water lines. Are all homes water lines and drains lines in the same areas. I have no idea as to where to begin. I've tried looking for a floor plan of some sort as to the location of these lines. I'd hate to damage the under belly in areas that i don't need to cut into if the line are not located there. Any suggestions??
JD
Site Admin

Generally, you will look in the area that you can detect water in your vapor barrier, from underneath the home. You can start by looking in the wet area, under the faucets and toilet. Once you open up the area, you will see the water lines and where they go. When I open up vapor barrier, I will cut along floor joists and across one end, making kind of an access door. This makes it easier for me to repair the vapor barrier when I am done with the plumbing.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mist1953

Thank you, We will start with the bigger bugle first, that one really concerns me. We think we know that one was caused by our Air Conditioner. My husband thinks this was caused by the A/C drain backing up because the hose was looped and once he straighten the hose out the water ran freely. The other four I'm not sure.
Archie

Don't forget that if you live in a climate that sees freezing temps to keep the water lines close the the heat ducts. This helps to keep water lines from freezing in winter.
Experience is what you get after you need it.