dirt pad

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sbohringer

I was told I needed a dirt pad for a site. Seven truck loads of dirt were used. The pad was built following the contour of the land. It is on a slant. Two blocks on one side and six the other to level the home. Is this normal and will it create problems? I would think if a new pad is being built it would be level. Thanks
Greg

Most zoning codes that I know of call for a concrete pad. You want the pad as level as possible. If you are using dirt make sure the it is compacted as much as possible.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
150baker

Its not normal to require a dirt pad. Ask to see in some type of document or code where it is required before you give them all their money. They could of scraped the ground and made a level pad.
I hope they removed any vegitation under the soil they put down or its going to sink from the vegitation rotting. i.e grass roots. They should of also did some serious compacting on the soil to support your home. I am assunig they poured a concete 100% pad on this fill.
JD
Site Admin

Totally agree with 150baker. I don't do moves and set-ups anymore, but I am pretty sure that in my area they require virgin soil with all vegetation removed, or when dirt is brought in it must be compacted and pass a compaction test. I am curious to know the reason they wanted dirt added to a slope and why they did not recommend a concrete slab. I know they want a downward slope from the home, but it seems easier and better to grade away some of the uphill side than to add dirt to a hill. Again, not my area of work, JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.