question on removing a wall

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

monk86

We are working on removing the wall between our living room and a bedroom on the same side of a double wide mobile home. We are not removing any of the center support walls, but this wall does butt up against one of the support areas. Tearing off the paneling and sheetrock on one side of the wall we are removing we have located the wires and have a plan for those, but just want a second opinion before we go further. The wall is just under 12 feet long.
The wall is made up of only 1x4 and the ceiling continues thru and the walls are paneled behind the 1x4's as they put the wall up afterwards.
We are planning on running two 2x4's on end over the top and down the side just for continued support and would actually be more support then is there.
I will post some pictures, but have to figure out how to get the pictures posted.
monk86

The wall we are removing is to the right, and butts up against this supporting beam.

This is the other side of the wall, that butts up to the outside wall, paneling goes behind the 1x4

This is the other end of the wall that butts up to the support wall. This wire is for the light switch
monk86

The end of the wall that meets the support wall

One more view
150baker

Depending on the age of your home it may be a shear wall for wind load on the side of your home.
A give away on this is, if the botton and top plates have lots fasters through them at about 3 inches on center or tighter.
monk86

It is a 1980 Montebello. The whole wall is put together with staples. We know it is not a load bearing wall but had read sometimes if still need some support from the outside wall coming in. So we are taking three two by fours and pitting them up on end as a beam with supports up each side as well. I think it will have more support by the time we get done with it then it has now. Will be nice to have a larger living room too. Will post updated pictures along the way.
Greg

If you could find an old barn beam, that would look sharp!!

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."