Noise from air conditioning unit

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

slk_ms

I would like input on an idea I have for quieting the noise from the unit running in the house. I have found that since I installed laminate flooring, the noise is much more prominent, to the point we are constantly turning up and down the remote for the TV just to hear over it. Since it is located in the hall between the 2nd bedroom and the bath it is especially noticeable in that bedroom.

Would putting some type of insulation board or material cut to fit snugly inside the bottom cover affect the running of the unit or cause damage?

Thank you in advance

SLK
Greg

Is this a window/wall unit or a central air unit?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
slk_ms

I guess that would be helpful! I'm sorry. It is a central unit. The cover that has the louvered piece is on the top covering the condensor? (looks like a radiator on a car except it looks like a tent), and then below there is a solid cover that is over the motor area. This is where I was thinking of fitting it.
Greg

As long as you don't restrict the air flow you should be OK, You may want to contact an A/C contractor and have the unit checked also. It seems strange that changing the floor would cause a problem. It could be that it needs a good cleaning, a fan could be off balance due to dirt or crud setting off a vibration.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Smooth hard surface floors will make a big difference in sound. It will bounce back more frequency so the noise is "clearer" maybe brighter. I know this from my music room.

You could look at placement and adjustment of the piers under the heater area. The idea is to limit the vibration effect of the motor. If the piers need tightening or there is a long span in this area, that could make for more noise.

Just some thoughts about it.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
150baker

Insulate both blower and acoil compartment.
Use 1inch high density insulating fiber board, obtain from heating and cooling contractor.
Attach with spray adhesive in a can.
Adhesive can be bought at Home Depot.
slk_ms

Thank you all for your responses!
flcruising

Does your unit sit an an recessed area that you can install a door? If so, you may have good results by installing a door with bottom louvers not full louver. Open air return air handlers are always more noisy than those with remote returns simply because they don't have separation from the space they are drawing air from. I would insulate as suggested first, but anything you can then do to contain the noise or redirect it will help as well.

I believe that jute insulation may be your best solution for the a/c cabinet. It can be purchased at a carpet warehouse store, and they are usually eager to get rid of it.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
slk_ms

Please be patient with me! I am in a '98 Southridge by Patriot and it has been okay so far, (better than some of my friends with different manufacturers) but it seems like now everything is falling down around me. So many things to fix and right now I have the time but not much money. I am single and unemployed so just trying to work on the things I feel are within my skill level and budget. All of your help is greatly appreciated! I am sure I will be here often as the projects I have are many.

The top cabinet with the A-coil compartment goes all the way to the ceiling with a large flex hose hanging down. There was tissue paper stuffed into the hose? Not sure what that is about. I don't see a way to reach the whole space with the insulation board or jute, so I was thinking could I make something of a false ceiling with the insulation board and drop it down low, installing it something like a shelf in a cabinet, cutting out an area for the hose to fit through? And, would that help?

If I attempt to insulate the motor area will that cause the motor to run hot or burn up? Any other considerations I have not thought of?

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond! It is such a help knowing that this forum is here for people like me.
flcruising

Could you post a picture?

The jute/insulation would be for the inside of the metal access doors/cabinet of the unit itself, not necessarily the framed walls of the recess the unit sits in. The louvered door suggestion was for the recess the units sits in, but that may be too complicated an approach for now.

The motor will not burn up because it will be cooling itself with the air being drawn through while it's running, this is the only time it generates heat, so no worries there.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
slk_ms

So this is what I have done so far:

I bought an acoustic ceiling tile from Home Depot that almost fit the space perfectly. I cut 3/4 of an inch off 2 sides and then trimmed another 1/2" off another to fit into the space. I also cut a hole in the center for the duct that was hanging down; wedge this into place so that now the extra 3-4 ft of deadspace is cut off from this part of the unit. Tomorrow I will go to an appliance place and see about insulation of some sort for the sides and back of the area surrounding it. If not, then I will look at the foam boards or more acoustical tiles trimmed to fit. (For some reason it will not let me post the pic)

On the bottom motor compartment I used a recycled filter that looks like blue grass in the inside of the cover for the area. Will most likely also cover this with an old towel cut to fit as well. So far there has been some noise reduction, but not as much as I had hoped. Keeping my fingers crossed.