Water overflowing drain pipe when washer empties.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Casondra

I need help in trying to figure out what is wrong or what we can or should do. When our washing machine empties the water startes to empty into the drain pipe then the pipe fills up and overflows onto the floor or in wall. We have snaked the pipe with a toilet snake but its empty. We have no idea where to check next.
hvac1000

Your toilet snake might not be long enough to reach the clog. There should be a vent on this line somewhere. The vent could be cloged or defective causing this problem also.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

You could also check under the house and see if there is a clean out plug for you to run the snake from the bottom of the house. They also have some pretty industrial length snakes at home depot I believe that will be longer than the one you may have been using.
busybee1952

My sympathies. I recently struggled with the very same problem and it took me quite a long time to get it fixed. What I finally ended up doing was cutting the drain pipe near where it joined the main drain line and running a piece of garden hose in there with the hard end going in first. I rammed and rammed and finally got it. Then, I patched the drain pipe with one of those rubber things with the clamps. It's doing great now. I'm not necessarily recommending that you cut your drain pipe but just letting you know that this is what I finally had to do to solve the problem.
Good luck!
Manitoba Bill

I recently had a tub drain plug up, tried the usual methods, plunger, industrial Drano, etc. Nothing worked, just made soap scum and bath oil buildup back up into the tub.

I finally resorted to my tried and true method. I disconnected the cold washer line and hooked up a garden hose with a sprayer attached to the end. I wrapped a cloth around the sprayer end and holding it tight against the drain I turned on the water. Let it force the crud out and cleared the drain. I had used this method for the kitchen sink yearly in April and again in Oct.

If you have seen a wasp's nest, picture this inside the washer drain line as it slowly builds up from clothes lint and soap scum. The longer it is allowed to dry between washes allows it to harden over time.

Use this method with caution. You might try the hot line but it can get fairly hot on the hands.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
BIG O

Hi welcome to the forum!

I use this thing called a drain king. It's made of rubber and screws onto the end of a garden hose. You run it down into the drain turn on the water and it locks into place and puts 60 psi plus onto the clog. Either the clog going to move or the pipes gonna bust but you know the clog will move first. Proven by me to work, used it quite a few times. Got it from the local hardware store. Fits pipes from 1 1/2" to 3" diameter. They also make one for 3" and larger.
IT'S BIG O BABY!!
Harry

Hi

I have used the drain king. It works.

However.... just so ya know...if your drain pipe is not connected good....you'll have a leak to deal with.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
HouseMedic

Did you get a new washer? The newer ones have a more gallons per minute pump and they put out more water faster. Code here is the stand pipe which is the pipe that you put your washer drain hose into should be a minimum 30" high.

Just a thought.

Ron