floors in Mobile homes and water damage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

momof8

OK I am curious as to why particle board is used for flooring if it is so easily subject to damage from moisture of any kind? Is there no way to keep water or moisture from getting to the particle board especially when there is carpet? I keep reading over and over again how to repair moisture damage to floors. Is there no preventive measures to prevent the damage in the first place. ?
Jim from Canada

It's cheap!

Jim

The best way to fix it to seal it up. There are a whole bunch of different kinds of sealers you can use. Personally if it was me just get some oil based polyurethane any kind will do. And a lambswool pad and start applying it on. That will seal it up so moisture cant get in there. If you have had pets before and there is Number 1 or 2 stains in there i would hit it with Bin cause that will kill the smell and seal it up then throw the poly over it. If it is beyond repair then having to replacing it isn't to bad just get out your circular saw set the depth and figure out where you need to cut away. Cut right in the center of the stud or just before and attach a nailer to the joist. The hard part is ripping it up.
Yanita

Hi,

Preventative maintenance is about all you can do to keep particle board floors in good shape. Personally sealing the floor may help prevent the top from water damage, but it is not going to last forever.

If the bottom of your home is not in perfect condition, meaning the belly material, insulation, and water lines are not intack then your home becomes subject to wicking moisture from the underneath. Overtime this will cause your floors to warp, sag and get weak.

Why are our homes built this way...as said before, it's cheap.

JMO,

~Yanita~
Last edited by Yanita on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

I couldn't have said it better! They use particle board because it's cheap. Water and particle board turn to saw dust when they meet.

Over time you will need to replace that awful particle board with plywood, if you plan to keep the home for a long period. At least in certain areas! It's just the nature of the beast!

I'm finding that out now. Thank goodness that I've taken on my renos in a ummm... very slow fashion. We haven't had leaks in years, but this year the sub floor is starting to show a few soft spots. I know two bad spots that will need to be repaired. I also have to get one of the guys to go down under and tighten up the lag bolts. The floor is squeaking down the marriage line.

Even though we're a mobile on a foundation, we do still need to relevel every now and then also!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'