new user. maybe really dumb question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

benlminton

i am in the process of buying a newer doublewide. it is a 2003 28x72. it has perimeter block. i am not sure what 2x material makes up the exterior walls or the roof construction. but what i am wanting to do is frame a roof over the existing roof. there is nothing wrong with the current one, i just want a higher roof pitch. the current pitch is 4/12 and i want to put a 6 or 7/12 pitch on it. the area i live in does not have building code. the way i plan to do is by putting rafters from joists that will be fastened to the existing roof up to a ridgeboard and then sheathing over it, then applying shingles. is this totally out of the question? is this too much weight on the exterior walls? i have a friend in the mobile home business who says it would be ok, but he is in sales and has nothing to do with services, constructions or the doublewide im buying. i would appreciate input from people who know. i attatched a photo of the house. thanks
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. First let me congratulate you on your question, many people do not even think about the added weight. Since it is a newer home I would assume it has at least 2x6 outer walls, that said, the should support the added weight. I would do a permiter blocking under the rim joist to make sure the floors do not start to flex.
I am sure JD our resident roof expert will see this and add to it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
benlminton

thanks for the speedy reply. i am dumb about this, but im guessing that the perimeter block that is there for skirting im assuming is not supporting the header joist is it?
Yanita

Hi,

Unless you know exactly what your outer walls are I would forgo this project.

The added weight to the exterior walls could cause some serious bowing/flexing of the floors. The skirting is not any support what so ever, even if it is block/brick. Typically block/brick skirting still stops short of the rim joist.

Does your home have out riggers?

I will leave you with a link that better shows how a MH is built, but the diagram is of a single wide, not a multi section home.

You might get away with this if you completely remove all existing roofing materials. Typically it is not even advisable to have 2 layers of shingles on a MH roof due to weight.

JMO,

~Yanita~

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!