Front door and burn marks???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

astegall1978

I had a question about my front door. I had washed it a couple of months ago when i was washing the house, I did use an sos pad on some spots that wouldnt come off other wish i use some purple power to clean it. I had a few spots to show up after that about a month. Now i have much bigger spots on the door that look's like they have been burnt and i was wondering what i need to do to get it back to normal or is painting it would help. Any info would help, Also ione other question, I have a 16x80 metal on metal and i have no vents on the side to vint the roof? I was wondering is that normal and if maybe i need to install some to help with the heat and just to help vent it.

Thanks so much,
Allen
blwfly

are you sure its burnt and not water damage? post picture would help us determine what to do,

in most case's its easey to paint the door just do some good prep depending on whats already on the door if its got paint on it sand all the gloss off and scrap any paint flaking. primer any raw spots and paint the door:) i always paint the doors on the jam easeyer then removeing etc..

as for the roof yes you will want to vent it, they may have just coverd over your origanl vents when it got reroofed. ill look in my book for awnsers on how may vents are needed per sqf.

chris.
astegall1978

no its not burnt, it just looks like it and i will see about the pic, Not sure how to post one on here.
blwfly

click on post reply instead of quick reply and ull get this screen the go where my arrow points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Sounds like it will be faster & easier just to paint the door. As for the vents, I have seen very few original metal roofs that are vented. Since the majority of the roofs do not have any soffetts It would be very hard to vent. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

It sounds like maybe you have a vinyl clad metal door and the scouring may have worn off the top UV/wear protection. Painting the door with a Quart of Sherman-Williams Duration or other good paint for vinyl might be the answer.

Some people will install 14"x14" passive or whirly-bird type vents on top of roofs. Factory vents are usually 8x10 gable vents at the peak area of the walls on each end. This works with homes with flat ceilings through out the home. If you have cathedral ceilings, gable vents won't work.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.