What is the lifespan of a mobile home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

troyster

I agree JD, there should be standards for these things.

My siding is vertical and is attached by screws. It seems to be solid. The siding in the front which faces west has definitely been pockmarked by hail over the years compared to the back.

The MH next to me which is larger and 6 years newer than mine will be put up for sale for just $2500. It appears that I will have first dibs. It looks better than mine, but this will be tough. It's kind of better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

I recoated my roof on Memorial Day and so I saw the other's roof and it looks good. We have had a lot of rain recently and I have no leaks and that is good. I know what my house needs and I don't know about the other one. The other is bigger (14x65, mine is 12x50), has a 4 year old furnace and central air (I've used space heaters for 6 winters since my oil tank fell over on 9/11), it supposedly has new plumbing underneath, and it has a big wooden storage shed that I have lusted after since it was built 6 or 8 years ago (mine is a crappy steel shed). This should be a no-brainer, but my old house has been a home for 16 years. It is livable for me now and is livable, but it might be hard to get rid of and I don't relish paying rent on 2 lots for months.

Decisions, decisions. What to do? What to do? (The questions are probably rhetorical.) I realize I would be leaving my MH one day or another, I just wasn't counting on it so soon.