Heat bending vinyl?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I hve a few places where the Vinyl Front Rail has become bent out and won't lie flat any more.

Is it possible to apply [a little] heat with a heat gun why forcing this band flat with a long board?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Harry

Hi Lorne

Are you talking about the vinyl skirting or vinyl siding?

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Lorne

The skirting, yes. If not then I'll replace those strips.
Just trying to save a buck.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Harry

Hi

The vinyl skirting rails will warp in the sun if they are secured too tightly. They must be allowed grow and shrink else they warp. It's all in the installation instructions.

Once they warp I do not know how to unwarp.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

They will also warp if the female channel attached to the home is not exactly straight. If this is the case, the female part of the top track would need to be installed straight to allow the male portion to lie flat.

I would think you could straighten the male insert part, though I have never tried it. Here in fresno, I would lie it on a flat hot cement walk and maybe coax it with the hot air gun.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lorne

I've been in Fresno in the summer.
I will try to see if everything is lined up.

I will be replacing all the skirting so I just start at the F riail and work my way up. The F rail in some places has been moved by shifting ground over 20 years. Here near the ocean [5 miles away] it is more sand then dirt. Funniest looking grass here in SC I've ever seen.

I'll wait till winter, then do all the outside work.
Winter in SC is like summer to me. Too many years on Donner Pass I guess. [Truckee CA]

Thanks for the ideas.
Maureen

Hi Lorne,

I don't have much advice on your skirting project. I do suggest that you use some pea gravel in a trench under the bottom rail. This should help with movement, but I've never tried this in sand.

I'm in hard clay area, just about 30 minutes North East of Truckee and North of Reno.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'